Monday, October 27, 2008

Totally Inappropriate--Or Best Idea Ever?

I had a thought yesterday (yes, just one--harhar). We attended a baby shower for A.'s cousin (hi, C.!), who is With Child and due to give forth said child on December 3rd. She made a comment yesterday that she looks forward to being able to drink again after the kid's been brought forth to the light. I have heard many, many pregnant women express this at various points in their pregnancy.

But that wasn't my thought.

Later, as I was dragging our gift over to the chair where soon-to-be Mama Bear (and Papa Bear) was opening gifts, I found myself questioning the appropriateness of putting our baby gifts in a wine box (it was really, really hard to wrap, okay?). But then, I had my thought! DING!

It totally makes sense to include a bottle of wine or liquor for the parents when bringing a baby gift to a shower.

I mean, really. Assuming the parents drink anyway (and I'm not talking alcoholics here--relax), wouldn't it be great for them to have a nice bottle of wine (or whiskey) to have a toast after the baby arrives? I can't speak for the fathers, who can drink any old time they want anyway, but I think the soon-to-be unpregnant women would appreciate it.

So. Totally inappropriate, or the best idea ever? Feel free to weigh in. (Like you needed an invitation . . .)

15 comments:

Tina Post said...

Totally totally appropriate. Not that I have any stock in this or anything :)

Susan said...

My midwife suggested we bring a bottle of champagne to the delivery room. I don't think it was for her, but at the time I wasn't thinking very clearly so I could have this all wrong.

Anonymous said...

My mind went right to "alcohol and breastfeeding" and since it's been 10 years since I breastfed my baby, I had to look up whether or not it's okay. Of course, the Internet gave me some wildly divergent answers, but the consensus seems to be 1 drink a day is okay. So I say: Best Idea Ever!

Anonymous said...

Totally appropriate. And I like champagne as the gift rather than wine, but both are good.

By the way, in my book, alcohol is an appropriate gift for any occasion!

jean said...

Totally approprate. And I'm not even a drinker. However, I craved beer when I was pregnant. How odd is that? I see nothing wrong with it.

Allison said...

I was on the fence here, and then pictured what I would have thought if someone had given me a bottle of wine at my baby shower: wow, an odd gift. I enjoy a good bottle of wine, but it was quite a while before I drank any after my son was born. I was too exhausted to exhaust myself any further, and alcohol just makes me tired.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Allison--Is a bottle of wine any more odd than potatoes? Because that's what we gave them.

Oh yes, we did.

Anonymous said...

It's always good to have a bottle of wine around the house just in case people drop by to see the baby!

Allison said...

Any food gift = the most awesome thing ever. Cooking with a newborn around was the last thing I wanted to do. Plus I love potatoes. Potatoes rock!

MsPicketToYou said...

Totally appropriate. My mom brought champagne to the hospital. I drank it out of the bottle. And if I had a crate of potatoes, I'd have someone slice and dice and whip up some fries too!

FinnyKnits said...

I love this idea and have heard lots of my preggie friends talk about "Oh when I get to have wine again, blah blah, it'll be so great".

Only thing is, if they breast feed, they still have to wait on the booze until the kid's on regular food and not the boob. Just saying.

Allison said...

I thought about how many baby gifts I got that I never used today, and decided that even if a new family doesn't drink the wine/liquor right away, it's still gonna be good later on, right? Maybe better?

Anonymous said...

Best idea ever. You are officially invited to my baby shower.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Careful, J.T., I just might show up . . .

Anonymous said...

Best idea ever! I drank champagne after both of my kids were born in the hospital room with my hubby. The staff was fine with it and so was I.