Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Promise

While going through old photo albums to see if I could find a photo to post that would distract you from the fact that I have nothing of real interest or substance to say today (and yet can still manage to write the world's longest introductory phrase--yay me!), I found this picture:

I miss green.

This photo distracted ME as soon as I saw it. Look at the grass. Look at the flowers. This is a perfect photo of spring, a season for which I have been experiencing an unusual degree of longing this winter. I took this picture around the end of April. I never posted it because Mia got her gigantic self in it and kind of ruined the pastoral beauty image I was going for. Not like the broken-down Jeep in the background (that was later cut up and hauled away for scrap) doesn't ruin the pastoral beauty anyway.

The point, however, is that this photo is a reminder that spring will indeed be here soon. The pasture will look like this again in a mere two months. I just gotta hold on through the inevitable spring snow storms, and then the spring thaw that results in flooding and mud up to my ankles, and soon, all will be green with the world again. Amen.

7 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I know what you mean! That's why I posted beach photos today. I don't even like the beach, but looking at them made me feel warm and relaxed.

me said...

Thanks for the reminder, its very welcome. We have rain forecast for today and plus temperatures. I may go do a little spring dance

krysta said...

spring is coming... can't wait for all the spring bulbs to bloom!

Anonymous said...

It is 52 degrees here today, and our foot-deep snow pack is nearly gone. The bad part of that is that the ground is completely soggy, and the couple of months' worth of dog poo in my yard has been uncovered. Boo, spring. (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

I see daffodils and forsythia in that photo. We had both those at our old house and I loved, loved, loved them. Our house in Mayberry doesn't really have any early spring plantings. Guess I need to get busy, huh?

It's 69 here today, but overcast and WAY HUMID. Thunderstorms are supposed to roll in. I wouldn't mind the humidity so much, or the lack of sun, if I just had a little green. Thanks for the reminder.

P.S. I'm with you on the woodwork! Our entire upstairs is painted white, plus the sun room and kitchen. It's sacrilegious, as far as I'm concerned. Mr. Mom promised to strip all the paint off the beautiful windows when we bought the house but it's been almost three years and nothing!

Aunt Krissy said...

I miss green also. This was my 1st winter in WI. It was colder then AK! But I can tell that the winter here wont be as long as the winters up there. I can just feel spring around the corner!

FinnyKnits said...

#1 I think Mia makes the photo better. Whatever.

#2 That looks just like how Spring is supposed to look and I can see why you're wishing so hard for it given the temps in your house.

Soon, Kris - hold on!