Monday, February 2, 2009

I Love You, Man

ALL of you. Really, I'm so glad I have clever, amusing readers. That's so important. I mean, how ELSE would I ever find a good name for our lawn tractors and cocktails?

The only problem is, I have so many clever, amusing readers, that I have a hard time choosing which suggestion I like best. The cocktail names were no exception. Every one I read, I was all, "Oh! That's so good! How come I couldn't think of anything like that?" Because I am not so clever and amusing as all of you, apparently.

But in the end, the honors have to go to RLS. Again. In fact, she may be something of a miracle worker, because A. and I agreed on the name we liked. And we never agree on anything. I'm telling you, I think I saw pigs flying when he said he liked the very name I had been thinking was the best.

And so the cocktail shall be christened the Slippery Slope.

I don't think RLS even realizes how clever that name is, but I'll tell you why I liked it. As was mentioned, the mulberry tree is on a slope. But what you couldn't know unless you had ever tried to gather these mulberries is that the fallen mulberries quickly turn to mush on the ground, thereby creating a literal slippery slope. More than once last summer while gathering mulberries I slipped on this slope and went ass over teakettle in a patch of red goo. FUN.

I also liked the possible secondary meaning to the name: Having one of these cocktails will start you on the slippery slope to drunkeness, because they're SO GOOD.

So thank you, one and all, for putting your nimble little brains to work for me on a matter as important as naming a new cocktail. And thank you especially to RLS. I lift my glass to you. My glass of Slippery Slope.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Perfect name!! Congrats to RLS. Kristin, why don't you leave the teakettle home next time you pick mulberries?

Anonymous said...

Ass over teakettle! I just stole your phrase. Using it, and passing it off as my own.

jean said...

It sounds like the perfect name! Great job RLS.

inadvertent farmer said...

Ass over tea kettle...hoping its not full of hot water

Anonymous said...

I was going to submitt "hither and yon"! Too late now! Lance

Anonymous said...

"Ass over teakettle?" Awesome. That's even better than Slippery Slope.

And now I will share with you why this may be my Best Day Ever. I started back to work today after being laid off for three months, AND found out that in this new job, I get to wear jeans every single day, AND I found out that Kristin and A. liked my cocktail name! How could this day get any better?

P.S. Will my prize be a quart of mulberry juice, so that I can make my own Slippery Slope?

The Country Experience said...

Great choice! Congrats to RLS for nailing it.

Anonymous said...

Love that name. "Let's go to my house for a few slippery slopes." Sounds perfect.

Anonymous said...

Family friend slipped down while gathering mulberries, broke her leg, then got bloood clots in the broken leg and nearly died. She avoids the mulberry tree now.