Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Because What We Really Needed Were More Animals

Did you know that a sheep flock inspires the same sort of dissatisfied, crazed greed that monetary accumulation does? Yes. A. was so happy when he bought his first sheep a couple of years ago. He had two ewes for a long time. Then he got the ram, and he discovered that three sheep were even better than two. As the flock has grown, so has his desire to have more and more sheep. I'm not sure where the frenzy will end. I'm afraid to ask.

The newest additions to the flock were ferried home last night:


The glow in their eyes isn't the flash; that's the devil peering out.

Those are two Cotswold ewe lambs. As I mentioned awhile ago in my sheep primer, Cotswolds are a loud breed. These two seem to be conforming to the breed standard. I could hear them yelling all the way up the driveway and they didn't shut up until we left the pasture.

Cotswolds should be sold with complimentary earplugs.

And of course, the two grown-up Cotswolds were yelling right back at them. It was incredibly loud while we were getting all the sheep situated. But now they're all hanging in the pasture, eating grass and getting to know one another. Our current sheep count is 13. An unlucky number, but I'm sure it won't stay that way for long. Not if A. the sheep-collector has his way.

9 comments:

Sara said...

But he looks like he's smiling! So cute!

Susan said...

They're adorable! Probably because I can't hear them yelling.

mdvelazquez said...

They're scaring me in that first photo. Shiver!

My word verification is perilyi

SaintTigerlily said...

I want a sheep. Stupid NYC laws...

Amy said...

I want sheeeeeep! ::sulk:: If i could move my current house to a big parcel of land, my life would be awesome.

tami bami wami said...

well there's always counting sheep before you fall asleep. U never have to deal with poop, bleating, and sheep odor. My kind of sheep!! *grin*

Chiot's Run said...

We seem to collect cats at an amazing rate as well, if only they offers something useful in return.

foolery said...

If it makes you feel any better, my best friend growing up was the daughter of a large animal veterinarian. He collected all kinds of animals, all with four feet and flies. I remember them keeping sheep and a baby deer in the laundry room, though not at the same time. I don't know for how long, either.

I wish I were joking.

Thanks for the cell phone vote of confidence yesterday over at BOSSY's. Yay! No conversations in the grocery aisles!

-- Laurie @ Foolery

FinnyKnits said...

Oh man - 13 sheep? That's fun! I mean, fun from here - across the country - where I can't hear them bleating all the live long day.

But I do love sheep. I want to grab their furry buns. But that's a separate issue we won't get into.

Congrats to A! Sorry for Kris :(