Monday, June 29, 2009

It's Been a Long Time Since We Rock and Rolled

Actually, it's been a long time since we've had a garden update, which is, of course, exactly the same as rock and rolling. I think Led Zeppelin would agree.

To be specific, it's been almost a month. A whole lotta growing happens in a month. Especially in the last month. The corn didn't wait for July 4 to get knee high. It passed that mark about three weeks ago and is now approaching head high.

A clear case of over-achieving.

The tomatoes have finally stopped sulking and decided to grow. The Stupice wins for the first plant to have a wee tomato in evidence. Several more have appeared on various varieties, and I've started tying some plants to the bamboo support system. I think I'm still at least a few weeks away from The First Ripe Tomato, though. Boo.

Get a move on, there. I'm almost out of salsa.

Behind the tomatoes you can see some of the potatoes. I have hilled the potatoes many, many times already, though never as high as they should be hilled. Most of them have already started blooming. I think we're going to have another big potato harvest this year. Yay french fries!

We ate the first beets last week. Also the first broccoli and Swiss chard. The garlic and shallots are just starting to get tipped with brown, meaning the green part is starting to die. Once that part is all dead, the plants are done and can be harvested. Probably another few weeks before that point, though.

From left to right: broccoli plants, carrots, Swiss chard, Kestral beets, Bull's Blood beets, parsnips, and garlic and shallots. What a lovely family portrait.

We're still eating lettuce. Lots of lettuce. As well as some basil. The jalapeno and bell peppers have the teeniest little beginnings of peppers on them already. The cabbages have already gotten huge and started to crowd each other. They're pushy, those cabbages. No blooms on the squashes, cucumbers, and green beans yet, but all in good time.

I leave you with my best attempt at a full-garden view.

Supermarket produce section, I spit on you.


7 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

"Supermarket produce section, I spit on you."

Well now you'te just tempting fate.

Phoo-D said...

Looks marvelous! Our lettuce, chard, and peppers are all starting to produce but the tomato plants are not flowering quite yet.

Garden Pheenix said...

Absolutely gorgeous ;c)

rls said...

I am tired just looking at this. I salute you!

Daisy said...

I'm still laughing at your last line!! My lettuce & spinach are growing like wild. The peas are going crazy, but not producing any pods yet. Such fun!

mdvelazquez said...

My peppers are looking good too.

FinnyKnits said...

OH hell yes. No one needs a supermarket with a garden like that.

Your corn looks great! Look at all those straight lines! I love that. Maybe almost as much as I love the corn itself.

I may have to pick your brain on growing potatoes. That's on next year's garden list.