Friday, July 10, 2009

Not a Lush, Promise

I seem to be in a pattern here where I talk about something alcoholic every Friday. I haven't actually been planning it that way. But then, of course, that makes it seem like I'm a raging alcoholic who structures my week around what drink I will have on a Friday. And that is most assuredly not the case. Nevertheless, I am compelled to talk about alcohol once again today, because yesterday we tried the elderflower champagne.

I will first address the issue of calling it "champagne." It wasn't bubbly. But that may have been my fault. I was supposed to leave the bottle cap slightly loose so the pressure wouldn't build up too much, causing the cap to explode off the bottle. (Though I was tempted to do this, because I thought it would be fun.) There were bubbles when I bottled it up. But there aren't any now. So. I guess I left the cap too loose and the bubbles all got away. Whoopsy.

But how did it taste? Surprising. When I strained it and bottled it last week, it tasted a bit like hard lemonade. But now it's really pretty dry. Not pucker-your-mouth dry, there's still some residual sweetness, but it's more like chardonnay or something. And the lemon flavor wasn't as pronounced as it had been, although there is a little acidity to it still.

You'll be happy to know I did not taste any notes of cat piss in its bouquet.

A. actually really liked it. I thought it was okay. The MiL was not terribly impressed, although she was polite, as always.

I only had a sip last night, so I'll have to taste it further to determine if it's something I would make again. It is a worthwhile experiment, though, if you have access to elderberry flowers. It's easy and cheap to make.

Have a fabulous weekend, duckies!

10 comments:

granny said...

Sounds interesting..we have our own stil and make all kinds of spirit and liquers,have done for 10 years or more.We bought all our equitment from our local brew shop.Can you do that in the US ?

mdvelazquez said...

Do you think you would have liked it better if it was more of a bubbly?

I'm hoping for rain all weekend, so I can hide out inside.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Phoo-D said...

How interesting! I wonder if the flavor would open up/change with the right food pairing...?

CindyB said...

Don't worry, if you were a raging alcoholic, you wouldn't be waiting for Fridays to talk about your drinkie! :)

mil said...

I do think it was a bit fizzy. Not big bubbles. But it was nice. I might recommend blanching the lemon peel to remove bitterness, as it is in some marmalade recipes. But wait: with the tinge of bitterness, the elderflower champagne would be absolutely the best with gin--. The flavor is surprisingly complex -- and it is definitely worth making again.

FinnyKnits said...

Hmmm...it sounds like something I'd really like.

When you have more, tell me if it gives you a headache.

Melissa said...

I do wish I could try it. Maybe the internet will invent something for that...someday.

Sweet Bird said...

Alcohol of any kind sounds nice right now - except anything reminiscent of cat pee...

MsPicketToYou said...

dude.

dude.

i will take your lush and raise it.

you are AOK.

Kay said...

Have you seen this? (elderberry syrup)

Mixed with sparkling water would be a nice non-alcoholic drink for friends.

http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/2009/07/raising-toast.html