Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Be Prepared" Could Totally Be My Motto

That is, if the Boy Scouts hadn't already cornered the market on that one.

But I would just like to let you know that we are SO READY for this baby. Up to now, we've done, um, exactly nothing as far as preparations go. We haven't purchased a single thing--no clothes, no cribs, no toys. Nothing.

I have an excuse! Kind of. See, I just don't really FEEL pregnant. I'm barely showing, I have no symptoms (except for my permanently broken-out face--I call shenanigans on this "pregnancy glow" bullshit), I just . . . I guess I'm still trying to convince myself that there will be an actual squalling newborn in this house in six months. So I haven't been all that motivated to DO anything.

Except make food. That, I will do. So! Yesterday I made and canned 10 pints of spaghetti sauce with meat. Because it's easy! All I have to do is open a jar! I don't have to cook it! I believe this will be a bonus when I have a baby attached to me and I'm running on about two hours of sleep. We'll just ignore the fact that I also made this sauce last year, when there was no baby on the horizon. I prefer to tell myself that I am in Baby Preparedness Mode.

Also, the MiL, who is apparently much more motivated than A. and me, took matters into her own hands quite literally and decided this kid had better have some wool booties to keep its tiny, delicate newborn feet from freezing off in Blackrock in March. A not inconceivable event, of course.

So she knitted a bootie.

I find it difficult to believe a human foot will fit in this.

Now all we need is the other bootie, and we are definitely ready for this baby!

Why are you all laughing?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Just found you blog and enjoyed it so much I have been busily reading from the beginning! Consequently, I have not been commenting... I'm sorry I was lurking for a bit there-opps. Phew! All caught up now (wipes brow). So may i say congratulations on the baby!!!! Woot! I love the booty. Will the MiL go so far as a matching hat I wonder? It seems to me you are going to have to turn it/him/her into a minature eskimo in Blackrock. Lol

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Why thank you, Anonymous. Yes, there is a matching hat planned. We're all about the coordination. Unless the MiL runs out of this yarn first, and then the baby will just have to take whatever she can dig up from her yarn drawer.

Susan said...

You are too cute.

Anonymous said...

EEE! Tiny articles of clothing! Just stuff some fiberglass insulation in those booties and the kid will be all ready for winter at Blackrock.

Anonymous said...

It's a boy?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Could be a boy. Could be a girl. Could be a Yeti.

Just kidding on the Yeti part.

It's too early to tell. Maybe next month's ultrasound will reveal some little, um, personal bits. And yes, we want to find out as soon as possible. Because I am a control freak.

The bootie is actually dark purple. The MiL convinced A. that it's the color of royalty, and therefore, appropriate for either a little prince OR a little princess.

Garden Pheenix said...

That's absurdly sweet :cD

It's great to hear you get along so well with your MIL :cD

me again said...

Wanna know when I finally bought baby stuff when I was pregnant? About 7 or 8 hours before I went into labour! Yup, finally went shopping for baby things one evening and that very night, I went into labour. Poor little guy was, I think, hanging on until his mom bought him something to wear!
==lennie==

jean said...

Well, I am glad to see that you've gotten started. What about making some baby food?

Pretzel Thief said...

Congrats, Kristin! May you have a healthy and happy pregnancy. :)

And the wee woolies are adorable - kudos to your MiL. Damn STRAIGHT there's a matching hat in the works, I mean, DUH. ;)

I can only imagine what it'll be like to be pregnant one day (God willing!)... At 24, still not quite ready for a little one (what can I say, I'm still a selfish beeyotch :P), but definitely in the next few years.

Enjoy!

rls said...

The way the yarn is still attached to the bootie, it looks like a cat toy.

sweetbird said...

While I was buying clothes for my nephew it was hard to believe they wouldn't be too small for a human to fit in.

Then he was born and even the smallest things were almost too big.

Also, considering your lifestyle I feel like I should buy you a Baby Bjorn.

FinnyKnits said...

Sounds pretty ready to me. Of course, a set of ear plugs couldn't hurt, but then again, I know nothing of children.

Also, I second the "glow" thing as I've never seen it in person and lord knows all my friends are or have recently been pregnant.

Even the ones pregs with twins aren't glowing.

Wendy said...

aaaawwww, you're nesting...

Maybe you'll get the big fat red nose in the last few months like I did??