Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm Easily Amused

Which is a really good thing if you think about it. I mean, here I am, home all day, rarely leaving the property (by choice--some people would call me a recluse, but I prefer homebody), not talking to anyone except A. and the MiL. And the dogs, of course. I don't even watch t.v. for God's sake. But I find endless entertainment in the things I see on these five acres every day. Like a pumpkin.

See, we planted some pumpkin seeds on the far edge of the garden by the barn. Pumpkin vines wander pretty far, and we were hoping these vines would wander up the side of the barn. Instead, they wandered over the blackberries, through the potatoes, possibly over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house. And into the barn. Not around the barn, or over the barn, but into the barn. The vine worked its way between the siding, and then a pumpkin grew right over the lambs' water container. I have this vision of a lamb leaning in to get a drink, and the pumpkin falling right on its head, cartoon-style. After which the lamb would stagger away with little stars and tweeting birds circling around its head.

It's like the pumpkin of Damocles*.

Except the lambs actually drink from a bucket by the gate, so this is one scenario that will only live in my imagination.

* If you don't know who Damocles was, go read up on your Greek legend. Thank you.

4 comments:

SaintTigerlily said...

I think I've blogged about this, so forgive me if I'm repeated myself, but did I ever tell you the one where my dad's pumpkins grew up into a fir tree? When they got ripe they hung there like giant christmas trinkets. My little sister later had a very amusing exchange with a North Fork farmer who grew increasingly frustrated when she continued to insist that pumpkins grew on trees.

Greek myths rule.
Roman myths drool.

Happy Sunday!

An Open Heart said...

This is my first time growing pumpkins and I'm completely smitten and fascinated by them....however, as far as I know none of mine have permeated a building or started growing out of trees. I like the pic of the one you have in the barn.

;o)
S

sweetbird said...

I love the tenacity of plants. It's what keeps me interested.

Also, I'll take a pumpkin over a sword any day of the week.

Mayberry Magpie said...

I'm a homebody, too. It's just that my highly social job doesn't cooperate. I think that's why I love it at your place. I can pretend I live on your little farm and never have to go anywhere and find great satisfaction in the garden and the house. (Not so much in the cold, though.)