Friday, September 11, 2009

Gimme a P!

Gimme an R! Gimme a . . . whole lot more letters that I'm too lazy to write out! What does that spell? PROCRASTINATION! WOOOOOO!!!

Pardon the cheeriness this morning. I don't know what's gotten into me.

BUT ANYWAY.

I finally did something yesterday that I've been putting off for months now: I blacked the woodstove. I don't know why I hate doing this so much, except that it's a pretty messy job and I always feel like I've got plenty of time, so maybe I'll just do it tomorrow instead, when I've got my dirtiest pants on. Then tomorrow comes and I'm too tired from gardening, so maybe I'll just do it on Monday when it's going to be rainy and I won't want to be outside anyway . . .

You see how this goes.

I should perhaps explain what blacking the woodstove is, for those of you who are lucky enough to have had no experience with such things. Our woodstove is old, and solid cast iron. Just like an unseasoned cast iron pan, it can get rusty and nasty if not seasoned regularly. In the case of the woodstove, the seasoning is the blacking, which is, I believe, actually some kind of wax. Maybe with some kind of oil in there?

I'm very technical, I know.

Anyway, I squirt some of the blacking goo on the (COLD, thankyouverymuch) stove, rub it on with a damp cloth, and then buff with a dry cloth. The buffing takes the longest, of course. I try to get off as much of the blacking as possible, because some fumes from the heated blacking will be inevitable when the woodstove is fired up for the first time, and the more blacking left on the stove, the more fumes there will be. I'm sure it's very healthy.

I do this once a year. I always mean to do it right after I clean the woodstove out and put away the log holders and all the fire paraphernalia in the spring, but I always end up waiting until the burning of the woodstove in the fall is imminent. And why do I do that? Say it with me now, kids: PROCRASTINATION!

So, because I don't like feeling alone in my failings, tell me, duckies: What's the chore you put off as long as possible?

15 comments:

Anke said...

I don't like cleaning bathrooms. I don't really know why because it doesn't even take that long. Still it is ALWAYS the last chore to get done. Just knowing I have to do it that day, yuck...

Chiot's Run said...

Too bad you can't just rub bacon grease on it like I to reseason my cast iron skillets. That would smell much better.

SaintTigerlily said...

Cleaning the litter box. Without a doubt. HATE.

Phoo-D said...

Filing- hate to do it. This last time I waited almost two years...what a disaster!

Stephanie Z said...

The top of the refrigerator. My ex-husband used to do it. I tried to make it part of the divorce settlement..

Garden Pheenix said...

Bathrooms. And putting laundry away.

Tara_LB said...

Hmmm, there are so MANY! Let's see now, washing up dirty dishes is my all time worst job. Fortunately my significant other (The SO) does that usually, but when he's away? I will only do it when I get down to the very last clean teaspoon, and even then I have been known to break ou a paper plate... Strangely though, I don't mind putting away clean dishes or laundry.

Pat said...

It's a toss up between cleaning out the shower stall and defrosting the refrigerator. Yuck and double yuck!!

Susan said...

I leave the floors as long as possible. I'd rather clean 18 bathrooms than sweep and wash the floors.

Unknown said...

I'm with the others....Hate the bathrooms and will leave it till the last possible moment.

Beth said...

The easiest chore, laundry. I don't know why but I hate it. Not that I'm super motivated to do the others.

rls said...

Every time you talk about blacking the woodstove, I just go into a little Laura Ingalls Wilder daydream. Sorry. What was the question?

Mayberry Magpie said...

My lord, there is no end to the chores at Blackrock is there? No wonder you procrastinate. Because you can never, ever, never catch up. (Sorry. You're supposed to say that. Not me.)

Please tell me you're going to put your child to work as soon as it can walk. If I lived at Blackrock, I'd need a dozen kids to keep up.

moi said...

Laundry - I would rather be behind the toliet cleaning then fold clean towels. No idea why. Just a total drag...

FinnyKnits said...

With a chore like that, I'd be putting it off until a furnace was installed ;)

I'm with Phoo-D, though, I put off filing until the organizer thingee is peeling off the wall before I'll pull open that file cabinet.

I just don't understand why we need paper bills any more. We should stop that.