Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Coop Fever

Remember last week when I mentioned that the chickens have suddenly decided to eat apples, after many failed attempts to get them to eat their fruit and vegetables? And I said I didn't know why they had changed their tiny little minds? Well, I think I know why.

They were bored out of their tiny little minds.

Yes. You see, it occurred to me that all the other times I had tried to give them old produce, their little chicken door was open and they could roam free outside. But the past several days have featured some distinctly chicken-unfriendly weather, so I haven't been letting them out. Therefore, when that apple appeared, it was as if I had thrown a television with 800 cable channels into a snowbound Alaskan cabin. It gave them something to do. Namely, peck. And that's all a chicken ever wants to do anyway, so they jumped right on that apple. They have also since eaten some frozen stalks of collards, too.

It took me longer than it should have to figure this out. Apparently, my mind is a bit on the tiny side sometimes, too.

I think I'll let them out today, so there shouldn't be any need for rotting apple diversions. Wouldn't it be nice if we were all so easy to entertain?

P.S. I've started finding brown eggs in the nesting box, along with the green, which means Penny has joined Poppy in her off-season laying. This is exactly what they did last year, at exactly this time. Apparently, my hens like to make a New Year's resolution every year to start laying again. Works for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They would also enjoy a shovel full of fresh dirt (if you can find some not frozen), no they don't care if it is frozen but you may , (trying to dig it) or leaves or anything they can search through for whatever the heck they always find outside. Some hay, they can eat seeds off of and scratch around in. And any scraps you have from the house cooking. And yeah on getting fresh eggs again.

Susan said...

Mine haven't started winter-laying yet. Their rent is due.

Alicia said...

Note to self: Never own chickens.

FinnyKnits said...

Like people on an airplane - bored out of your mind to the point where you may actually eat that crap they call food.

Let's just hope no flight attendants decide to open a door ;)

Daisy said...

Or maybe they read your last post: "We have heat!"

Anonymous said...

Somehow chickens always rendered a calming effect on me. I remember collecting eggs with Doy as a child. A wonderful experience! Except for the one rooster that had it out for me, and often chased me from the coop. But of course my experience with Blackrock eggs, pales to Uncle Erics! Ask MIL if you require an explanation. LA&A Railroad

Anonymous said...

Correction, render is the appropriate word. LA&A