Friday, January 8, 2010

You're Welcome

So I was kind of writing a post in my head as I carried my coffee upstairs this morning, all about what a pain in the ass it is to scoop all the hot ash out of a top loading woodstove and how the ash always gets all over the place no matter how careful I am and how I JUST cleaned the entire downstairs and now it's all filthy again.

But then I decided that would be boring to read.

I was also kind of writing a post in my head last night while I was sitting in the first childbirth class we attended at the hospital, all about how Pampers is worryingly aggressive in their marketing to future parents and how there weren't enough comfortable chairs in the room so I got stuck in one of those chairs with a little desk attached for two hours and how I can't ever do those narrated breathing exercises because whenever I try to breathe on someone else's command I feel like I'm hyperventilating and I think that probably says something about how poorly I take direction.

But then I decided that that would be boring, too.

So instead, perhaps I will just tell you that I managed to leave the rest of the rice pudding for A. to eat yesterday.

It might be boring, but at least it was virtuous.

13 comments:

sweetbird said...

I feel the same way about the breathing thing. Every time I take a yoga class and they do the whole, "Breathe in...........now breathe out" thing it makes me want to die. No one else should get to control my breathing.

Yes, I'm a control freak.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Our birthing class instructor told us that most of the breathing exercises are no different from the visualization: just something for you to focus on instead of the pain. I wouldn't toss this little tidbit out to mess with you if I thought the breathing was helping you. Just saying don't worry if you don't pant correctly.


Word verification: sties -- nasty eye infections (no kidding, that's a real word, and that's really what it means ... gross, Google, really gross)

QuiltedSimple said...

Just wait until you get to the hospital for the actual birth - you will be overloaded with diaper and formula samples.

QuiltedSimple said...

P.S. and the breathing - i never could get it right so I went for the epidural. Sounds gross the way its done but no pain whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

I could not take a good deep breath for the last 3 months of pregnancy, and every time I thought about it/tried to do it, I seriously thought I was suffocating. WEEE! THANKS, FETUS.

The only thing that worked for me was taking in a breath reeeeally slowly, so that it FELT more like a deep breath. I learned this from a childbirth DVD, because I was too lazy & cheap to attend an actual class.

Melinda said...

Ok ...you are SOOO right about the woodstove thing. I am going through this too! Oh but I love the heat it puts out so I am making myself endure the mess and work.

inadvertent farmer said...

Ughhh, childbirth class! You are more virtuous than I would have been, Kim

Anonymous said...

Well, since I know nothing of the childbirthing...I will stick to the wood stove. Take a spray bottle with water with you to clean it out and as you scoop/spray. It helps.

word verification : crympoti

mushroom grown near an outhouse

Collette said...

I always use my shop vac when cleaning out the fireplace - wouldn't the same work in a wood stove? It's fast, clean, easy. All my favorite things.

FinnyKnits said...

That's a friggen mitzvah as far as I can see it. Virtuoso, you.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Collette: Only if the ashes are cold. I don't think your plastic Shop Vac would thank you for melting it in a hot woodstove with hot embers in it.

Anonymous said...

I think my shop vac would send ashes spewing out the air outlet even with water in it

Daisy said...

I found Lamaze class rather awkward, too, but the techniques were worthwhile when the time came. During the actual labor, you'll control the breathing pace yourself. Good luck!!

Word verification: gable. Huh? A real word?