Monday, May 3, 2010

No Title

No title because I really just can't think of anything clever and interesting right now. And why not, you ask? Well, let me tell you a little something about that Cubby boy of mine. He's been a relatively good sleeper since he was about three weeks old, letting me sleep about a five-hour stretch in the beginning of the night, and then another few hours after a feeding and change. And the REASON he's been a good sleeper is because that child has been swaddled into an immovable bundle every night of his life.

However.

It appears his last growth spurt a few days ago gave him just enough more size and strength to allow him to bust out of his swaddler like the Incredible Hulk. Which he has done every night for the past few nights. Without the swaddler, he sleeps maybe three hours. If I'm lucky. I'll leave you to imagine how that makes ME feel in the morning at about 4:30 when he wakes up for the day.

And that's why there's no title.

10 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Oh no! He is growing fast (loved the tulip photo). I wish I had a suggestion but alas I am clueless when it comes to swaddling.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Because I like you, I won't point out that all us other parents who saw the bragging about "what a good sleeper he is!" are now softly chuckling. I won't say that it's your own fault, that you got cocky and tempted fate.

No, I won't say any of that. I'll write it though. :-P

Don't worry, you can survive while sleep deprived a lot longer than you think. (Though, now that I've written it, that doesn't sound like such a good thing.)



Word verification: peausl -- a green, pea-sized wart

Anonymous said...

Dude. Miracle blanket. Worth every penny. Saved my life:
http://www.miracleblanket.com/

Even if he's too long for it, you can just wrap his arms and leave his feet out. Sadie could hulk out of every other swaddling device, but the Miracle Blanket is THE SHIT. (She was able to hulk out of it eventually, but not until she was much older.)

Sorry for the assvice. I just hate to see my fellow woman go without sleep.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: My sleep-deprived brain is thinking I would sort of like to punch you now, but I'm too tired.

And J.T.? Thank you for the advice. Really. I would happily try anything that would work. But the swaddler he's breaking out of? IS a Miracle blanket. Dangit.

Anonymous said...

Maybe try warmer place or way to sleep. Beth

sweetbird said...

I'm pretty sure the most effective form of birth control I've ever endured are the sleepless nights I spend at my sister's house. Her son is now 11 months old and has just now started sleeping through the night - for the most part. I was there about a week ago and there was a massive thunderstorm.

Let me just say that I never thought I was the type of person who seriously entertained the idea of smothering a baby with a pillow...

Anonymous said...

Whoa, really? He's hulking out of the Miracle blanket already? DAMN, CUBBY! I am way impressed, but very sad that I cannot help you.

Daisy said...

I hope the weather turns warm soon - for the sake of your garden, your baby, and you!

Julie said...

Ah, babies are so sweet, but I sure don't miss the sleep deprivation. Do they make a hulk sized swaddler?

Alicia said...

you'll probably look back on this time later on in life and cherish it...you know, when you've had more sleep. :)

I wish you many restful naps.