Tuesday, May 4, 2010

So Very Nautical

What a tease I am, making a passing mention of A. building a boat out of plywood and then not posting pictures. Which many of you requested and I never did. Mean. But it's all good, because since I mentioned that boat, A. built another one. A better one, one that he was happier to allow me to photograph because it wasn't sealed with roofing tar. Like the last one.

Oh yes, it was. You think I was joking about woodchuck ingenuity?

ANYWAY.

No, this is a fancy boat. It's sealed with . . . um, some kind of caulk. I'm hazy on the details. But I DO know that only the bottom of it is plywood and the rest is the milled pine, which A. curved into shape with his Come Along (there's that ingenuity again). He even painted it a jaunty white.

The boat's maiden voyage was on Sunday, which is when A.'s friend Jodi (remember him from the milling adventure?) came by to help A. haul it out of the old milk barn where it was built and down to the lake shore. Jodi even had a camera to take photos of the maiden voyage. Good thing, because I, of course, did not. Have a camera, I mean. Since I usually don't.

ANYWAY AGAIN.

How about I just post the damn photo already? Yes? Okay.

Ahoy.

It looks like a boat, right? I mean, it IS a boat, so it SHOULD look like one, but I'm always surprised by its obvious boatiness because A. basically taught himself to build a boat without plans or anything. He pretty much got some wood and started hammering. This is his third one, and they get more and more boat-like with every attempt. It's pretty impressive.

I had my first outing in the boat last night. A very short outing, because Cubby stayed on the beach with the MiL and screamed the whole time, so we went back to shore pretty quickly. Maybe he wanted to be out on the boat, too. And he will, once the water isn't cold enough to freeze an infant on contact should we all capsize or something.

And . . . well, that's the boat. You're welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Baloney. A. really is a boat builder...I can't speak for everyone...but, I figured it was going to be more raft-like. You describing the plywood one anyway.
Two little boys making a Tom Sawyer down the river trip. Cubby has such a fun boyhood ahead of him...helping daddy live out all his dreams. Beth

Phoo-D said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed. A's talents know no bounds. That's an actual boat! I can imagine lots of summer fun out on the lake.

sweetbird said...

So what exactly is he doing with the boat? Is it a pleasure cruiser or for fishing?

Or just to see if he could build a boat that floats?

Alicia said...

Now A. just needs to build you a jet ski.

FinnyKnits said...

Incredible! The man builds boats!

This is going to take beach sheep herding to a whole new level.

Jen said...

Wow, I'm totally amazed. And shocked. It really does look like a boat.