Sunday, May 30, 2010

Priorities

You know how there are certain things you always do first when you get home from a trip? Well, for me, that's looking at the garden.

Okay, so it wasn't actually first. First I extracted a screaming child from the backseat of the car and changed him and fed him. Then I petted the dogs. Then we went to a family member's birthday party on the lakeshore. Then I came home, changed the again screaming child (it was a long day), fed him again, and put him to bed. And THEN I went to look at the garden.

The garden exploded in the four days we were gone. Weeds EVERYWHERE, but also blooming pea plants, potato plants that are all of the sudden a foot tall and rapidly approaching the first hilling (BOOO), carrots and beets that grew three inches and need to be thinned, surprisingly large lettuce and spinach and basil and tomatoes.

That's right. The tomatoes have lived to die another day. I know you were worried about the tomatoes. I certainly was. I think they'll all make it, although I don't know how much this little, ahem, episode will set them back. We shall see. I'm just glad they weren't all dead when I got home. Not dead is pretty much all I ask for.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have many loads of laundry to do and dogs to pet. It's so nice to be home.

5 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Welcome back home! I'm so glad that you didn't lose the tomatoes. I'd cry after all that hard work if they kicked it. Hopefully they will grow stronger and bigger tomatoes because of it!

Mayberry Magpie said...

So glad you're home! I wish I had a garden to look at (but since I don't want to work, I don't). Instead, when I come home, I look at my potted flowers. It's ALMOST the same.

rls said...

Welcome home - we missed you!

Alicia said...

Home sweet New York...

blegh.

FinnyKnits said...

Same here, except without the baby changing and lake parties in between.

Though I do pet the dog first. And then avoid the cat as she swats at my face.