Friday, June 18, 2010

Two Hours

At seven o'clock last night, after Cubby had gone to sleep, I headed outside with A. to help him fix the water pipe in the cistern that had come loose at the intake, leaving us with no water in the house. And by "help" I mean I stood there and passed the flashlight and screwdriver to A. after he had dropped down into two feet of fifty-degree water wearing nothing but tennis shoes and shorts.

I think we all know who got the better end of this deal.

ANYWAY.

As soon as we ("we"-HAHA) were finished, I announced my intention of doing just a little work. I actually said that. "I'm just going to do a little work. Not much."

I think we can all see where this is headed.

So I went out to harvest peas. And found that there were a lot more English peas (the "regular" kind that need to be shelled) that needed to be picked, and the sugar snap peas needed to be harvested too. Harvesting peas takes a long time. And I was weeding as I went, so that slowed me down some.

Then I noticed a few potato plants that needed to be hilled. And the newly-sprouted squash plants needed to be weeded. And then I hoed around the tomatoes and eggplants and pinched off the tops of the basil so it would get bushier.

Then I saw how weedy the carrots looked. So I started weeding them. And while I was at it, I did a second round of thinning, pulling out many nice-sized baby carrots.

Then I went up to the mulberry tree to shake out the tarp and rid it of all the water that accumulated during the rains in the last couple of days, and the mushy, water-logged berries. While I was up there, I pulled off a few roses from the bushes in the ram pasture to put in a vase in the house where we could enjoy them.



Then I went in to put the vegetables away and remembered that I needed to strain and bottle the elderflower champagne. So I did that.

And then it was nine o'clock and time for bed. Two hours gone, just like that.

And now! It has come to my attention that the last time I posted a picture of the resident baby was three weeks ago. Can my title of Mother be taken away for that? I think so. I'd better remedy that situation RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, lady. How could you NOT post pictures of me? Look at the sunhat! Look at the crab shirt! LOOK AT THE CHEEKS!

Okay, all better now. I can call myself a mother once more. Have a wondrous weekend, poppets!

10 comments:

Kay said...

First & most important... go smooch that baby for me, Now! He needs some raspberry kisses on that tummy.

Second... yup... just "a little work" on the farm or in the country almost always turns into 2 hours-worth. At least you did enjoyable work (gardening) that ended in roses. :oD

Phoo-D said...

That is a busy two hours! It sounds like you got a lot done. Love those chubby cheeks!

Anonymous said...

And I see Leda back there guarding that baby!

Mary in MN

Sara said...

Oh my goodness, he's so cute! Love those cheeks!

inadvertent farmer said...

Oh you are right those cheeks are outstanding!

I love it when you wander out to the garden and don't return for hours. Then when you come in the kids are whining to be fed, the laundry pile is glaring out you and the dishes haven't done themselves...

Talk about a buzz kill!

Constantina said...

Cutie pie!

jean said...

He is so cute. Those cheeks just beg to be covered with kisses. My "baby" just graduated 8th grade last night. It goes by so quickly so enjoy every minute - those cheeks will someday soon be covered in peach fuzz.

FinnyKnits said...

Too bad you couldn't have had your Slippery Slope cocktail after that. Because obviously you descended the slippery slope of yardwork successfully.

Nice harvest though :)

Alicia said...

Love when times flies like that! :P

Cubby is crazzzzy adorable.

Daisy said...

Oh, the hat! That's just the cutest little fashion statement ever.