Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Interminable

Ah, September. A month so evocative of fall--of turning leaves and chilly nights; of clear, crisp air and sunny, pleasant days. So why the hell is it supposed to be 92 degrees today and tomorrow?

I'll tell you why: Mama N. is a mean old hag who wants to punish us one last time, that's why. I suppose it's her idea of a funny joke to give us more wretched heat and humidity in the very beginning of the month that usually means relief for us.

But no matter! I shall suffer in my sweat bath for a few more days, in anticipation of those brisk fall days sure to arrive soon. Some day I will again be able to wear long pants without feeling as if I will spontaneously combust.

These are the dreams that keep me going, for I am a simple soul deep down. And I do love fall.

5 comments:

Mayberry Magpie said...

It was 78 degrees when I ran this morning. With 98% humidity. And NOT ONE breeze. I know, 78 doesn't sound so bad but it is for a 5-mile run on a September morn' for Pete's sake.

We're supposed to have lows in the 60s later this week. I can only hope.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, soon Minnesota will be the new garden spot. Perfect weather for days now. If only we could get our winters straightened out. Mary in MN

jive turkey said...

High today is going to be 92. High on Saturday? 63. And raining. WTF?!

Alicia said...

We live in Texas. It won't be cold until Halloween.

My MiL, who lives up somewheres around you, says her trees are almost finished turning.

Haley said...

Mama N. is a super bitchy hag, I concur. I mean, I'm sure we haven't all been super nice to her over the years, but that lady can hold a grudge.