Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Of Rabies and Bagels

"What?" I can hear you saying. "There cannot possibly be a connection between rabies and bagels." Oh, but there is! Allow me to elucidate.

I got a notice from our vet last week that Mia was due for her rabies vaccination. It's important for all dogs to be up to date on rabies vaccinations, but even more important for our dogs, given their lifestyle. Who knows where those woodchucks and raccoons have been?

So I immediately called and scheduled a time to bring her in. I was careful to choose a day and time when A. wouldn't be in court and Cubby would likely be napping. It was all part of my selfish plan to leave Cubby at home, you see. I mean, I could strap Cubby into his carseat, wedge Mia in the front seat, and juggle both stroller and leashed dog into the vet clinic, but why should I? What, I ask you, is the point of having a spouse who works from home if not to exploit his at-home-ness occasionally to save myself some stress? No point. Exactly.

So out came the carseat this morning, in went Mia, and away we went, leaving a sleeping Cubby and working A.

I just love it when it all works out like that.

Mia was a very good dog and didn't squirm on the examination table at all, even when she was getting a needle jammed into her leg or a thermometer jammed into her, um, backside. She looked a little skeptical of the events taking place (as would we all in her situation), but she just bore it patiently until her ordeal was over and the receptionist gave her her doggy treat.

Then it was time for MY treat. See, the village the vet's office is in also has a coffee shop. So after I was done at the vet, I stopped by the coffee shop to get a bagel and a mocha latte. Because if I can't have my cafe au lait in the morning (which I can't, because I'm temporarily out of my chicory coffee until the next shipment arrives next week), then I will make do with the equivalent of coffee-flavored hot chocolate. And I never pass up the opportunity to eat something that I don't have to prepare or clean up after. I gave Mia the last bite of my bagel for being such a good girl and everyone was happy.

See? Rabies and bagels. It all makes sense now, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfectly sound to me.
Better than what I was thinking...you were baiting a rabid skunk into a trap with a bagel. Beth

word verification 'chipooin'

Native American version of a diaper

Daisy said...

I totally see the connection.