Sunday, September 12, 2010

Taste Sensations

A couple of people have asked me if I make Cubby's baby food. These people obviously do not know me very well. I ask you, would a woman who makes butter for the first peas of the year quail at the thought of pureeing some beets? No. So yes, I make his food.

Not that it's very involved. Whatever I pull out of the garden or the MiL picks up at the orchard gets cooked and thrown in the small one-cup food processor that never saw much use until now. So, you know, carrots, beets, zucchini, applesauce, pear sauce, peaches, apricots . . . you get the idea. And he sometimes eats some of what we had for dinner, like potatoes or rice or even meat. That stuff, plus whole milk yogurt and some oatmeal processed a little finer than normal, and Cubby is one happy boy.

The combination of these foods is really the interesting part. For instance, did you know that yogurt and pureed beets is actually really good? Somewhat reminiscent of borscht.

Also, applesauce and pureed carrots with a bit of cinnamon tastes surprisingly like pumpkin pie filling. If the filling didn't have any sugar. Or eggs. Or, um, pumpkin. I mean, I'm not going to be making a pie with it for Thanksgiving, but it's tasty enough that I don't mind finishing whatever Cubby doesn't eat.

Who knows what new taste sensation I'll discover next? Babies are such an educational experience.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

At a friend's baby shower recently, they played the game where you taste the baby food and guess the flavor. Not having a kid of my own, I did a terrible job, but after tasting that crap, I can see why kids whine so much.

Homemade baby food is reason 327 I want to own a farm.

Daisy said...

Just be cautious; as he gets older, you'll want to avoid eating his leftovers or you'll end up looking like you're expecting again!

I made my own for my second child, and then wondered why I didn't for the first. It was so easy!

Anonymous said...

I would imagine tasting everything before he eats it is a wise decision...you don't want him eating something unappetizing and being forever scarred. :) Let us know what other culinary delights you come up with. Beth

word verification 'andeim'

wizard of oz male aunt