Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Perk

Did you know the word "perk," as in additional benefit, is actually a shortened form of "perquisite"? So technically it should be spelled "perq."

See, A.'s not the only one who knows stuff. I got some smartness too.

ANYWAY.

A. is smart, yes, and he is also my perq, because he is my 24-hour on-call handyman. Like the creepy dudes my apartment complex in Phoenix used to send when my toilet broke, except I'm not afraid to be in the same room with him.

Handyman A. started the new year yesterday by racing in to turn off the rusted water valve on the overflowing toilet while I attempted to keep Cubby from launching himself off of the elevated changing table. This new fun game makes it somewhat difficult for me to deal with emergencies like filthy water gushing out of the toilet bowl and leaking into the bedroom downstairs.

Happy new year!

And then, at one o'clock this morning after putting up with my tossing and turning for hours because I can't sleep due to the extreme squeakiness of our crappy metal bed frame, A. left the room and returned with a can of WD-40, with which he proceeded to oil all the wheels on the frame so I would finally settle down and let him get some damn sleep already.

Such a useful man to have around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a night full of fun and merriment. ;)
A tip on the overflowing toilet, if it is clogged, rip the lid off the back and pick up on the ball/arm to make the water quit flowing in and hence out on the floor . Then yell at A. while Cubbie wrangling in the other arm.
WHAT, you don't have 45644 arms? I thought every mother had 45644 arms. Beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a night full of fun and merriment. ;)
A tip on the overflowing toilet, if it is clogged, rip the lid off the back and pick up on the ball/arm to make the water quit flowing in and hence out on the floor . Then yell at A. while Cubbie wrangling in the other arm.
WHAT, you don't have 45644 arms? I thought every mother had 45644 arms. Beth

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

You know, if you weren't tossing and turning there wouldn't have been any squeaking. I'm just sayin' ...


Word verification: morkbort -- Swedish for "hard boiled egg"