Sunday, January 23, 2011

Recalibrating

Well then. It appears that Cubby is done with the morning nap. Just like that.

We discovered this yesterday, when I attempted to put him down for his usual nap two hours after he woke up for the day. He certainly gave the appearance of sleepiness. But two hours later, after up and down and standing in the crib screaming and NOT SLEEPING, it became clear that there would be no nap in the near future. It was at this point that I dumped him on A.'s lap and took off for the Small City.

Not because of Cubby's behavior, but because I had already planned on leaving him with A. so I could have a (much-needed) break. And it was obvious that it didn't matter if I was there or not--that child was not sleeping. So I left.

A. told me when I got home that Cubby played quite energetically for another hour, then had a repeat of the screaming and NOT SLEEPING for an hour or so before he finally passed out on A.'s shoulder. After which he slept for over two hours and woke up at 3 p.m. in a much better mood.

I didn't have any great hopes of a morning nap today. Sure enough, although he looked tired, he was not having any of this crib business. I didn't press the issue, instead bringing him back downstairs to crawl around and walk and pull himself up on things and chase cats and eat about four separate meals of eggs/toast/tangerine/cheese/grapefruit/Cheerios/oatmeal/raisins/applesauce/whatever the little piglet can get his hands on until he was tired out around noon. At which point he fell asleep while nursing and went into his crib with nary a sound.

So. Much as I hate to concede the end of any free time I might have in the morning, it seems that the morning nap is no more. Boo.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Ah. This awakens the former day-care teacher in me. There is a stage toddlers go through when they no longer need two naps a day, but they need more than one. Yes, it's complicated. But after Cubby adjusts, he'll need just the one daily nap, and it'll probably be a long one.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My condolences.
Super though, you got to go out for a bit on your own. :) Beth

word verification-retell
a story , once again, about shopping

flask said...

and then, one day, suddenly, he will be nineteen and realize that napping is AWESOME again.

"trympipip"? what the heck kind of captcha word is that?!?!