Saturday, January 15, 2011

Variations on a Theme

I was sitting there in my chair by the woodstove this morning, pondering breakfast without much enthusiasm. I was hungry, but very disinclined to make anything. Besides, my options weren't appealing. Every day, we have some version of eggs or oats. Scrambled eggs or fried eggs, sometimes with bacon, sometimes in juevos rancheros, sometimes plain. Or oatmeal. Sometimes with milk, sometimes with applesauce, sometimes with cinnamon. But always, eggs or oats, eggs or oats, day after day after day.

I thought maybe this morning I would just have yogurt. Except I knew that wouldn't keep me full long enough. So when I opened the refrigerator to get the yogurt and remembered there was a hard-boiled egg in there from a few days ago, I decided I'd better eat that. For the protein, you see. And while I was eating the egg, I saw the box of Cheerios on top of the refrigerator. So I had a bowl of those.

Eggs and oats this time. The inescapable breakfast.

8 comments:

Alicia said...

Let's come up with some new quick breakfasts for Kristin.

--You can make a week's worth of waffles for breakfast, put them in a plastic baggie in the fridge, and just pop them in the toaster every morning.

--Same with pancakes. Still taste the exact same 7 days old than when I cooked them. (I also make Choc. Chip ones--they keep too.)

--Plain Ol' toast with butter and jam.

(I sense a starch theme...)

--Have you ever made Egg in a Basket? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_in_the_basket

That's all I got. Otherwise we just eat cereal.

Mayberry Magpie said...

I have been eating the same breakfast every morning since 2001. It's crazy I know the date but I do. I eat a boiled egg and a piece of fruit. I vary the fruit, but it's always one egg, one fruit. It's balanced, it's portable, it's convenient (I eat in the car because I commute so damned far). I say when it works, it works.

Tami Bami Wami said...

or a slice of bread with peanut butter and maybe a banana? that would tide you over til lunch.

word verification drior = a dior perfume rip off.

Daisy said...

It's been toast with peanut butter for a few days; homemade bread, PB for the iron stash. Darn this anemia. I will get the best of it!

Just Me said...

Peanut butter banana sandwich on toast with a glass of milk.

Perfect breakfast

Anonymous said...

Try making some granola with some of your oatmeal to eat with your yogurt. It makes good cereal with milk also.
Flour tortillas keep forever and two days in the frig and can be used to wrap scrambled eggs meat and cheese...so you could walk around and eat if you so desire.
I rarely eat breakfast food for breakfast...so I have more options. Beth

Daisy-raisins are also good for iron.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I eat lunch first and then breakfast. I have a cheese and leftover meat (whatever from the previous day's dinner) with mayo and mustard, the whole bit, because I am really hungry. Then later on I have breakfast: crackers and maybe a scrambled egg (or even less cause Iam not so hungry). Keeps me on an even keel.

Anonymous said...

I find that Greek yogurt is a helpful option for breakfast--lots of protein (14 grams in 6 ounces), tasty, filling. Have you tried it?