Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Visitor

I looked outside this morning at the dogs swirling around the dining room door and then did a double take, because Otty looked curiously . . . fluffy.

That's because it wasn't Otty. It was another black dog. Specifically, it was the neighbor's Bernese Mountain Dog. He came visiting once before and the MiL identified him. She knows pretty much every purebred dog within a twenty mile radius, I bet. This particular dog lives just over the gully and is a very nice dog, if not overly intelligent. Last time we kept him in the back hall while we called his owners to come get him. This time we brought him right in the house, since he was just outside the door.

Mia was inside at the time, and while she wasn't overtly hostile, she did keep a close eye on this interloper to her territory. Especially since Cubby was there as well. Mia stood right next to the chair I was sitting in with Cubby, looking ready to bite the strange dog's face should he show any signs of aggression towards the hairless puppy. That would have been a less than fair fight, to say the least. The other dog doesn't look as if he's ever so much as chewed aggressively on a dog toy, much less attacked coyotes.

Cubby was quite interested in this new strange animal as well. It was the same color as Otty, but fluffy like Leda. It looked like a dog, but showed no interest in licking his face. Whatever could it be?

In this way our unexpected visitor entertained us all for about 15 minutes before his owner came to collect him with many expressions of gratitude for our corralling of his wayward dog. Nice to know our dogs aren't the only ones that go visiting.

7 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Burmese Mountain dogs are like big soft pillows! Oscar had a husky come visiting this summer and I looked out to see them both playing in the kiddie pool. Dogs are a never ending source of entertainment!

Alicia said...

HEHEHE!! Did you realize the wayward dog before or after he made it into the door?

Just Me said...

Good that Mia is so protective. But glad it's a friendly pooch that came to visit. Perhaps he'd heard news of a strange hairless puppy and wanted to see for himself?

Daisy said...

It's fun to watch babies make sense of the animals around them. My niece is still convinced that our rabbits are just funny looking cats. Her family has two cats; Bach and Beethoven!

FinnyKnits said...

Best visitor ever! I wish a Bernese would pop up in my dining room. Though, Jada would have some very specific things to say about that.

Like, "WTF are you doing in MY house?" and, well, "May I smell your butt with all my might?"

sheila said...

I love my visiting dog. A Black lab that my next door neighbors (her owner's) call Ginny, but I have renamed her Seal. She is slick and shiny, hence the renaming. She visits me every day, sometimes several times a day. She barks at my door, comes in for a petting and then goes back home. I think she really comes in hoping I have dropped something tasty on the floor for her to vacuum up. She is a most welcome visitor in my day.

Just Me said...

"May I smell your butt with all my might?"

I read that and started laughing uncontrollably. Which lead to my 13 month old laughing uncontrollably...

Thanks for the added laughter to my day.