Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chore Time with Children

Summer and fall are the busiest time of year for me. There's just so much food to be planted, harvested, prepped, cooked, canned, and otherwise dealt with, in addition to laundry to be hung out and animals to water and the dog pen to mow and . . . well. There's a lot to do.

And now I have a toddler. This toddler spends all his waking hours running around trying to hurt himself, break things, make a mess--often all three at the same time--and so must be constantly monitored. It's harder for me to get my work done when I have to be in a state of high alert with him at all times. But I have too much to do to only work when he's asleep, since that's only about four hours of my day. So I have learned what I can do when he's awake, and what really needs to wait until he's asleep. These thoughtfully planned and executed posts* I write for you every day? They do not happen when the child is awake.

The following things that I did yesterday are also designated Cubby-free jobs:

1) Gathering mulberries--far, far too messy for a child Cubby's age. The laundry that would result makes me quail.

2) Making juice from the mulberries--see above.

3) Staking tomatoes--sharp scissors hanging around, plus a ball of twine that would disappear within seconds to be unraveled all over the garden, plus an enclosed space in which every inch is covered in plants that I really don't want trampled all adds up to "naptime only chore."

4) Watering the garden--takes too long, makes too much mud, and once again, the strong possibility of plants being trampled by Cubby the Destroyer.

5) Doing dishes--too boring for Cubby, as he can't see what I'm doing, plus the kitchen is rife with opportunities to cause trouble (grabbing things off the liquor cabinet, taking bottles out of the cupboards that can't be fastened because of 100 years of paint layers, dumping the dogs' water dish).

Things I can do with Cubby in attendance, albeit more slowly and with a lot more interruptions? Also things I actually did yesterday:


2) Cut oregano and pull off the leaves to put on the screen and put in the car for drying.

3) Spread an old straw bale on the floor in the chick cottage.

4) Re-fill the food and water in the chick cottage.

5) Haul in cinder blocks to put the food and water on in the chick cottage because the straw makes the ground in the cottage too uneven and everything spills.

6) Water flowers with the last of the water from the trash can that serves as a rain barrel and then empty the trash can to discourage mosquitoes.

7) Hang laundry.

8) Weed wherever I happen to be standing, because there's always something to be weeded wherever I happen to be standing.

9) Pull the dead peonies off the peony bushes.

10) Pick up large chunks of wood in the way on the beach and chuck them in the firepit.

I'm sure there was more, but you get the idea. There is a division of labor, but the labor never stops--it just changes depending on the company I keep.

And on that note, Cubby is asleep and I must run outside to mulch the potatoes. Because Cubby+sheep-shit straw? Bad idea.

* This is what is known in the trade** as "heavy sarcasm."

** I have no idea what "trade" I'm referring to there. Professional busllshitting, perhaps.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh but he's so cute...even when he's getting into trouble.

Anonymous said...

In the "old days," you could probably afford to hire a mother's helper for $1 per hour for a couple of hours a day--a preteen who could entertain Cubby while you worked. Alas. Mary in MN

Sara said...

I was that mother's helper back in the day! I'm still waiting for an end-of-summer bonus that I was promised.

tu mere said...

Makes my inside and outdoor chores sound like a walk in the park. Guess that's why children are born to the young smart enough to have them when they're young, and we don't live in the country growing all our own food. Thanks. After reading your blog I now feel energized enough to go work out.

Anonymous said...

tu mere..........Kristin saves on working out gear and no joining the Y or gym for her workouts.:)
Beth
'the trade'---- your definition made me laugh


word verification - cosibi

one of many brothers or sisters

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

There is definitely the dividing line when it comes to chores.
A never-ending cost/benefit analysis.

Daisy said...

When he's older, he can help with a few of these tasks. Not many, though. Maybe he could have his own little watering can and an assigned area of the garden? Ah, a mother can dream.

gabe said...

Four hours? I'm lucky if we get two a day out of our little rugrat. He must have some kind of aversion to sleep, but I try to tell him to sleep while he can, because someday he'll appreciate it much more and won't be able to get any. I've been working on things for two months that would have taken me a weekend in the pre-child era. And yes, he is so cute, and that's the only things saving him :)

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

Having a toddler sure is a job within itself. I feel for you! But, it seems as if you're still able to get plenty of work done, he'll be learning by watching you. Soon enough, he'll be able to really help out, at least with a chore or two!! But, these sure are precious years.

Anna said...

I was raised a farm girl and from your post, I now understand why there were many photos of me wearing only a diaper outside when I was a toddler: less laundry. And that probably made it easier to get hosed off when I got into a mess.