Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fine Dining

Last year when I discovered that the day lilies running rampant in the creek are actually a delicacy and sell for four bucks a pint in New York City, it was already too late to try them here. They were done for the year. But I was determined to harvest some this year for experimentation. And to see if I would pay four dollars a pint for them. (I was pretty sure that was not going to be the case, but you never do know.)

Yesterday Cubby and I went out to the garden and pulled off some buds from the day lilies that grow along the fence line by the gully. It took me all of three minutes to gather enough for A. and I to have as a side dish at dinner. Not a pint, though. Maybe half a pint. It took another thirty seconds to rinse them off. I love that they grow high up and so don't get so filthy they require three changes of water to get clean. Like certain other foraged plants I can think of.

I sauteed them in butter for about five minutes. Although I think I maybe cooked them too long, because when I tasted one early on, when it was still crunchy, it had a certain not-unpleasant bitterness to it and a kind of green bean flavor. Once they were soft, they mostly just tasted like butter. Not that that's a bad thing, just not particularly exciting.

Verdict: I would certainly not pay the going price in New York City for them, but for something that I can pick right outside my house and have on the table in five minutes? Two thumbs up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could sell them to the local eatery.

jean said...

My mother grows them and would let the kids eat them. When your Grandma lets you eat things from the garden bed, things your mother would freak out about, they taste wonderful. Or so I'm told.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Day lilies?
All I can think of is the little plant I put in the walkway by our garage. And I totally wouldn't eat those.
I think you are talking about something different and I am intrigued....

Daisy said...

I've heard that daylily bulbs are edible, too. Anyone know?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lindsey: As far as I'm aware, every kind of day lily is edible, though the ones I'm talking about are the orange ones that grow pretty much wild around here. Easter lilies, on the other hand, are extremely poisonous.

Daisy: The entire plant is edible. I'm just too lazy to actually dig the bulb up.

FinnyKnits said...

People will just buy any old thing they see in the farmer's market, is what I've learned.

Yes, you can buy dandelion greens, mustard greens, day lilies and so on, but...eh...why? They're only, like, EFFING everywhere.

I guess not necessarily growing in NYC proper, but still. It is such silliness.

I am, however, glad you didn't die or suffer a cruddy side dish in your experiment though. Always courageous, you.

flask said...

you can make delicious daylilly fritters, but daylilly blossoms are also a staple of asian cooking. think hot-and-sour soup.

you have to have 'em.