Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Sense of Occasion

A. had to go out of town Friday and Saturday to attend another one of those pesky Continuing Legal Education seminars. That means he missed all the woodchuck excitement.

Oh, but wait! The excitement was not yet over.

Yesterday afternoon I heard the excited hunting yelping. Again. So I went out to investigate. Again. And I found the dogs frantically digging and circling the foundation of the shed that we use as a garage. Leda and Otty were on the outside sniffing at a hole in the stones, and Mia was inside the shed, scrabbling at the floor. The corner Mia was in has plywood laid down to make a more or less flat surface, and there is an old desk there where we store things like barbed wire and tie wire.

I couldn't move the plywood, because of the desk on top of it. And so there the dogs were again, with something trapped in an inaccessible place and no help coming from me.

Luckily for them, just at that moment, the fourth member of their hunting pack arrived home. The one who has opposable thumbs and can operate things like guns. And pry bars.

My first words to A. were, "Welcome home! The dogs have something cornered and I can't help them." I wanted him to know that we missed him and that his presence at home is appreciated, you see. Isn't that the best way to welcome someone home after a trip? Right.

A. being the kind of guy he is, he didn't say anything and instead just went into the shed and pried the plywood up a few inches with his pry bar. Mia squirmed into the opening and backed out with an animal in her mouth.

You'll never guess what it was.

Oh wait. DID you guess woodchuck? Yup, it was a woodchuck. I don't know that it was the same woodchuck that got away the day before, but if it was, natural selection took care of that stupid woodchuck and it will no longer have the opportunity to pass on its sub-normal survival instincts.

For the rest of the day whenever I went outside, I saw each of the dogs in turn skulking around with the increasingly floppy woodchuck carcass. Yum.

A.'s adventure in the corner of the shed convinced him that what he really should be doing today is clearing out that shed and pulling it about nine inches to the north, lest it all collapse entirely. It's at least a hundred years old--you'd be listing to one side, too.

So he's spending Father's Day using his Come Along to pull the shed straight and then brace it with some kind of framework of lumber. I'm hazy on the details. Which is why he didn't ask for my help.

I did take out some porterhouse steaks and made some maple custard, so at least we'll have a suitably festive holiday dinner. But that's about the extent of the celebrations here.

Laundry on Mother's Day and construction on Father's Day. That's the way it goes at Blackrock.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the crowd. Here's hoping your day is more relaxing than A.'s.

6 comments:

sheila said...

A. is a real guy, they do things like stabilizing a 100 yr old shed on Fathers Day. Leave him to it he's actually enjoying himself. The steak is a thoughtful nod towards Father's Day and I bet A. will really appreciate it after a day of woodchuck home repair.

Hey, funny that it was a woodchuck that got the whole project started today.

Anonymous said...

Woodchuck pie.

Sherry said...

I just love your posts! This one left me laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair!!!

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, then the dogs would be keeping their distance! haha The fun never ends...

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I hear ya'.
I am doing laundry and construction both today.
But I made the man White Chocolate Cake with Creamy Vanilla Frosting.
Happy Father's Day to ME.

FinnyKnits said...

I really think this is how all men want to be welcomed home.

I'm sure Bubba would love it if he came home to find Jada hauling a destructive creature around in her jaws.

I mean, this is the man that posted a photo of her most recent mole kill to Facebook with great pride.