Sunday, February 5, 2012

Last Ram Down

The last remaining ram lamb has finally been consigned to the freezer.  Past time, in my opinion.

A. killed it, gutted it, and skinned it last Saturday.  Yesterday, he and the MiL cut it up.

I did not do the cutting up.  I actually refused to do it.  I had told A. after I did the deer that that was the last corpse I intended to handle this season, and by God, I stuck to that.

So I left all the work to the MiL, like a bad daughter-in-law.

These are the initial large cuts that A. produced with the meat saw and a knife.  


Meat, with saw. 

The MiL then spent a couple more hours trimming, boning, and wrapping before it all went in the freezer.  Well, all but the backstrap and the ribs, which A. insisted on grilling.  It was about forty degrees and he had to re-build our jerrybuilt grill in the yard, but he did it.


Then we all stood around outside gnawing on bones.  It was all very masculine and Cro-Magnon.  Except I didn't eat any because . . . well, because I didn't want to.  Cubby, however, was quite enthusiastic.


That's a bone in his mouth and a pair of pliers in his other hand.  You just never know when you might need some pliers.

After that, we all went to check our buckets in the maple trees and collected a few gallons of sap.  Just the beginning of what we hope will be about a hundred gallons in the end.

And that's Saturday at Blackrock.

6 comments:

edh said...

Looks like a yummy snack for Cubby (not the pliers, the other part). I can't believe you're tapping already. I'm jealous; I don't think we'll be seeing it run here for another month or so. Hope you have a great run!

Anonymous said...

Cubby sure has tons of the male persuasion in him. :) His wife will be so pleased.
Beth

Sherry said...

Cubby is getting so big! Cute picture of him.

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

Reminds me of the time I caught my mother-in-law in the kitchen with the bones from the rib roast. I was planning on having those for a snack later, and there she was hunched over the cutting board being very un-ladylike.

This is a woman who will eat KFC with a knife and fork, and there she was with a bone in her hands.

The next year, I hid the bones before bringing the roast to the table.

Daisy said...

He's such a Tool Kid! Bob the Builder has nothing on Cubby.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

That picture of Cubby is the new American Gothic - "Ram Bone and Pliers".