Monday, November 26, 2012

Wearing Charlie

I'm just gonna come right out and say this: I am not a fan of baby-wearing.

Baby-wearing, for those of you who are possibly not as immersed in All Things Child as I am, means strapping the kid to you like some kind of marsupial and hauling it around on your very body.  As opposed to a stroller or something.

It hurts me.  Literally, I mean. Carrying around an extra 16 pounds of dead weight hanging on my shoulders means that my muscles are always sore. But I do it because I have that other child who requires a lot of outside time and must be followed around constantly.  And now it's cold, so to keep Charlie warm, he needs my body heat.

Luckily, I bought this awesome L.L. Bean wool coat at the thrift store last winter that mostly zips up around both me and Charlie.


And makes me appear perpetually pregnant.

Charlie, unsurprisingly, is a big fan of this arrangement.  He very, very rarely cries when he's strapped to me, and in fact usually falls asleep.


When he hasn't been mainlining caffeinated milk, apparently.  That's one wide-awake child.

And so I will wear him, all the while dreaming of the day I have two fully bipedal children.  That will be a happy day, indeed.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

What a beautiful picture of Charlie! I have to give you credit! They didn't have those contraptions when I had babies. I like the stroller method better!

Anonymous said...

And he continues to have those amazing, gorgeous blue eyes...

Anonymous said...

Charlie is beautiful and so are you. What a find , that coat..score! Beth
Your version of woodchuckness.

Phoo-D said...

He has such beautiful blue eyes! The coat looks perfect. You can't beat Bean for quality too!

Anonymous said...

There are some babywearing arrangements that are easier on shoulders...ergobaby is good, moby is good, mei tais are good. Better is when he's old enough to go on your back. And then hotsling for your hip.

But kudos for you for sticking with it despite the pain. Both my kids rode on me for at least two years almost constantly, and my back will never forgive me. Ever.