Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Rich Inner Life

I'm very glad that Cubby is such an imaginative child.  He spends much of his day acting out the things in his head: Flying his plane (the baby activity station with a chair pulled up to it), driving a train (the coffee table with a chair pulled up to it), hunting (you've seen how that goes), and talking about his imaginary friend.

His imaginary friend is (wait for it) . . . Suction Cup.

Yeah, that's what I said.  Suction Cup.  I refuse to speculate about why he has made his imaginary friend a suction cup of all damn things.  It's . . . weird.  Yes, weird.  That's the word for it.

Suction Cup isn't always around, but he'll enter the conversation very unexpectedly.  Cubby will be flying his plane or hunting and then all of the sudden announce that Suction Cup is still sleeping.  And he sleeps in a crib because he's a baby suction cup.

But then the next day Cubby will announce that Suction Cup is doing something very dangerous and he (Cubby) had better go see what it is.  So Cubby runs into the other room, has a one-sided conversation, and returns to inform me that Suction Cup is using a chainsaw.  But it's a small chainsaw, and Suction Cup is a big boy, so it's okay that he's using the chainsaw.

Suction Cup has been variously described as having tentacles, fur, and glasses.  Sometimes he swims.  He likes to eat cod fish.  And lollipops.

Maybe there's a whole family of suction cups, a whole tribe even.

I really have no idea what is going on in that head of Cubby's, but it sure is entertaining to get a glimpse every now and then.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love a strong imagination! It will take him far. Beth

Phoo-D said...

Lol, oh gosh that is too funny. He is such a creative child. My brother had an imaginary friend for years (young years) that was half deer half something else and lived in the "sticker bushes". It is amusing and amazing what young minds come up with!

Anonymous said...

I, too love a child with imagination!

I would, however, keep an eye on Suction Cup and his proclivity for using a chainsaw, small or not, big boy or not. I'm thinking Cubby might just be harboring some thoughts in that direction himself.

In fact, Suction Cup sounds like he might just get Cubby into some pretty sticky (oh come on! how could i NOT?) situations.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh, my stars. That was awesome. I'm laughing my ass off over here.

sheila said...

My youngest daughter had an imaginary friend/scapegoat named Yucky Candy (no idea where the name came from) When asked who wrote on the wall? She answered,"Yucky Candy did it!" Who ate all the ice cream? "Yucky Candy" Who cut your hair? "Yucky Candy." Yucky Candy was a one kid crime spree there for awhile.

MomMech said...

Mine has a blue fuzzy crab named Saw. :) Love the stories they come up with. Like Suction Cup, Saw comes and goes. Usually lately he just comes on trips with us. I love the imagination. I figure the imaginary friends will go when they are no longer needed. I'll be a bit sad to see Saw go.

Daisy said...

OMG I love this kid! Baby Suction Cup, chainsaws, and all.