Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Carrying On

One of the unfortunate realities of parenthood is that you will never again get a sick day to spend feeling sorry for yourself and resting.

Well, maybe you do when your kids are older and capable of using a toilet by themselves, but I can't speak to that yet.  All I know is that when your kids are little, illness doesn't mean taking it easy; it means everything will just suck a lot more for however long you're sick.

But of course, your kids don't care.  They still want you to take pictures of yourself wearing stupid bunny ears:


A. actually took it, but whatever.  I allowed this hideous picture to be taken, for the sake of my son.

And read stories about sheep and roosters building houses:


Yup, A. has the cold now too.  The family that coughs together, stays together!

And so you do it, because that, my lovelies, is parenthood.

6 comments:

rls said...

I read an article yesterday (someone had linked to it from Facebook, maybe?) called "The Mom Stays In The Picture." The writer was lamenting the very things you lamented in your post about Charlie - the black circles under your eyes, hair all catty-whompus, and how it was her instinct not to let anyone take photos of her. Then she was looking through some photos of her mom and realized that she didn't see the circles and the wrinkles and the whatever, she just saw her beautiful, vibrant mom, and she wanted HER kids to have those same photo memories of her when she was old or gone, so when her small children ask for photos like this one with the bunny ears, she says yes. It made me realize (too late) that most of my photos of my kids are just of my kids. I was usually taking the photo and not IN the photo, although my favorite photos are those of us together. So take the photo with the stupid bunny ears and enjoy it, because time moves too fast!

tu mere said...

I'm sure there's a really good story behind the bunny ears, since it's not Easter and all. Still, silly and fun are synonymous in my vocabulary, so you go girl. Thanks for showing us the cool side of everyday life.

Phoo-D said...

So true. Mr. B was sick all weekend and it was bad enough I felt sorry for him and encouraged him to stay in bed. I will admit only here that several times I thought, "never would happen if it was me"! Mom's don't get a break.
P.S. The bunny ears are cute!

Sherry said...

Loved the picture of dad reading to the boys. Feeling bad or not, you guys have your act together.

FinnyKnits said...

Oh man. Bubba and I have had the same Blech Cold/Flu for going on two weeks and we can barely take care of one another. If we had to care for a child, I fear that CPS would have to intervene.

Another reason that you are a champ and we are unfit to parent.

Good look with the ears, though. ;)

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

My.
What nice ears you have.

All the better to hear you wake up 4 times a night with, my dear!

BTW - I like what RLS said up above. I haven't thought about it like that. I hate having my pic taken as well. Maybe I gotta buck up and get 'er done.