Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Serious Design Flaw

To all those pajama designers who no doubt read this site regularly: What the hell is up with the long pants and short-sleeved top pajama sets? Why are these almost ubiquitous? Why can't I buy long sleeves AND long pants for my sons together? Their flailing little arms are forever escaping their covers and getting chilled. They can't be the only children to do this. Why is it so hard to get long-sleeved pajamas for them?

Although not quite so flail-y as my children, I also sleep in the conventional manner of legs under the covers, head out of the covers. This means the first part of me to get uncovered should I flip over, or maybe--ahem A.--experience some blanket theft, is my arms. I do not need long pants; I need long sleeves. So how come the pajama set combination of shorts and long-sleeved shirt is nearly impossible to find? Have I perhaps been sleeping upside-down all these years?

Do not even speak to me of the odd pajama combination of pants and a tank top. This makes no sense to me.

I may embark on a second career as a pajama designer myself, if only to fill this void in the market.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much of the fashion world doesn't make sense. Perhaps in your free time you could take up sewing?! Mary in MN

Becky said...

Yes! One of my favorite PJ sets ever (about 40 years ago) was a cotton long-sleeve top and short bottoms.

Lindsey @ Half Dime Homestead said...

TRUTH!
Which is why I mix and match my daughter's pajamas and my own with amazing thrift store finds. Long sleeved shirts and cotton drawstring shorts. PERFECT.

ingasmile said...

And when I do find the long sleeved pj's for the boys, the sleeves are so tight (fire resistant) that I can't get there arms into them. ARGH!

tu mere said...

Please, please begin your designing career right away. It's absolutely ludicrous the short/no sleeve combos. Obviously, we + kids aren't that much of an anomaly with arms that get cold. As Becky, I've been trying to replace the one set of PJ's that completely work for as long as I can remember.

Anonymous said...

Turtlenecks are the answer!

Daisy said...

I like Mary's idea - learn to sew. The only trouble with that? You won't have time until your kids grow up and go to college. By then, they'll be wearing the pajama pants and tank top look that you so dislike.

flask said...

i sleep in athletic tights and techinical tops that also double in winter as a base layer.

pajamas- long johns- whatever.