Saturday, October 6, 2018

Friday (and Saturday!) Family Fun: Now With More Family


The MiL arrived Thursday night for a visit (she made the drive from New York in TWO DAYS--that's some serious driving), so she was here for this week's Friday Family Fun.

She went with A. and the boys to see the swimming hole in the canyon while Poppy was taking a morning nap, but I was home with Poppy so I don't have any photos of that.

And then we all went up to our new house, where she got to see the hideous paneling in real life. And then she got to see me start to tear it off the walls. However, there were three boys "helping" me and a baby crawling around underfoot, so I don't have any photos of that, either.

In fact, the only photo I have is a boring one of everyone sitting around our house:


Family Fun in the living room.

But today! I have SO MANY pictures from today. The MiL left this morning to drive to Tucson to see A.'s brother and his family--she's stopping here again for a few days on her way back to New York--and right after she left, Cubby asked A. if they could go camping.

A. was amenable to the idea, but then he checked the forecast. It was calling for thunderstorms in the morning. The boys were crestfallen, so I suggested maybe they could camp up at the new house. I meant inside the house, but A. said he would set up the tent near the house. 

So in the afternoon, we all went up to the new house. I finished removing all the paneling from the living room walls:


Well, except that little bit on the back wall there. It was glued on or something.

Then I pulled out the excessive number of nails that were all over the walls. Jack helped me:


Or maybe he was playing ninja. Hard to say.

It was too late to start spackling the nail holes, because I had to take over with the baby so A. could start the fire to grill our dinner.

There's an outdoor fire thing at our house that was built by one of the previous owners. It appears to be for possibly roasting meat. You know if we had any lambs, A. would be all over that, but he had to make do with sausages*.



I took over the fire so A. could set up the tent. He put it right in our front yard area, because that was the flattest place.


Poppy approved.

The road is actually only about twenty feet from where he set up the tent, but considering this is what you see from our house . . .



And there are no houses for about fifty miles down that road, I don't think they have to worry about being disturbed by the traffic. There isn't any. Unless a cow gets out from the pasture across the road.

It was actually pretty cold and windy, so we had our dinner inside on the dining room floor:


Poppy thought it was the greatest thing ever that everyone was sitting down at her level and she wasn't restrained in any way. She spent the whole time crawling around, trying to steal sausages and spilling cups of water. She's never had so much fun at dinner.

Shortly thereafter, I took Poppy home and put her to bed. And now here I sit, alone in a silent house with nothing to do but go to bed myself. It's definitely not quiet and restful for A. right now, but at least he's a shoo-in for Father of the Year. 

* They were Italian sausages, transported all the way across the country for me* by the MiL. It seems like a silly thing to do, but man, those sausages were SO GOOD, and I am SO HAPPY she brought them.

** She also brought me squashes, tomatoes, celeriac, and two different varieties of apples. This is why we get along so well.

6 comments:

Gemma's person said...

All sounds good...sleep on .

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy reading about the "Family Fun Fridays."
This is probably a silly question, but here goes. Since the houses are so far apart, how is the electric handled? Are the lines underground? Or strung on poles? I saw in one of the pictures there was an ac unit plugged in, so I assume you are not solar or generator powered.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: The house fifty miles away is just in one direction. There are others much closer. Believe it or not, our new house is actually in a village. Well, a kind of ghost village, with only about five occupied houses. But it still has all the infrastructure, including electric, water, and even high-speed internet now. Our settlement is just off the main road that runs right between the two bigger villages in the county. But even in the canyons and other remote places, the electric poles and lines run a surprisingly long way.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love reading your blog - I wish I was your neighbour! I love that your MIL got to see the legendary panelling for real - I bet it was really cathartic ripping it off. Is that a woodfired oven you have out the back?

Anonymous said...

I guess I thought that all the homes were fairly far away from each other (50 miles?), hence my question.
I second Europafox's comment - I absolutely love reading your blog too!
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Europafox: It's not exactly an oven; more like an enclosed fire pit. I dunno. It's kind of strange. Definitely an owner-built unique design. It worked for cooking sausages though, which is all that matters. :-)