Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The First Signs


On Sunday when A. was on his way to cut wood down the road, he noticed the first tiny wild flowers starting to bloom. He suggested I take a picture to document the fact that here in our new home, flowers start appearing in January.

So I did.


They're teeeeny tiny, and also, probably some kind of weed, but who cares? Flowers! Outside! In January!

A.'s garlic is also starting to poke above ground, as is the random garlic Cubby planted in his "garden" near the propane tank. 

But perhaps most exciting? Lettuce. There is lettuce in my house.


Okay, so it's a ways from actually being eaten, but still. Lettuce! In January!

I had ordered those seeds last August for fall planting from High Desert Seeds, but they didn't come in time, thanks to some kind of mistake on the part of the company. It was irritating at the time, but it worked out, as we ended up moving anyway.

So my Drunken Woman* and Bronze Arrow lettuce seeds waited patiently in their envelopes. I realized recently that while the temperatures at night are still far too cold for lettuce plants, the daytime temperatures and, more importantly, the strong sun meant that probably I could put lettuce in the big plastic tubs that A. got for me.

The tubs are all over the place here, just blowing around--they hold some kind of protein feed that the ranchers give the cattle in the winter--and A. found a couple when he was on public land. He brought them home for me for container gardening. Their first use is going to be for lettuce, as I can move them in and out of the enclosed porch with A.'s dolly as needed.

They won't hold all of those seedlings by a long shot, but A. has some kind of plan involving smaller pots and a large pallet tray or something. He's motivated to help me ensure my lettuce supply, as always.

It's 27 degrees today with a 25-mile-an-hour wind, so it doesn't feel much like spring. But it's coming. The flowers, garlic, and lettuce know. And so do we.

* I freely admit I bought this purely because of the name, and I bet I'm not the only one. Never underestimate the power of good marketing.

4 comments:

mil said...

I do not know what the flowering plant is. I will try to find out. The lettuce looks awesome. Meanwhile, we have a foot of snow--

Tara said...

Cool!
I reverse image searched your plant. It’s a Erodium cicutarium. I’ll let you google it so you can choose the common name you like best (I like Storksbill)

mil said...

Thanks! I got to the family but hadn't narrowed down the species--
Redstem filaree is also rather cool sounding.

tu mere said...

Wow, Tara, great job! I just look at the flower, appreciate it's colors and existence, and move on. Guess the need to know if different for everyone. So very happy you can now have a long-term garden of whatever you choose. Lettuce is an intereting first choice.