Friday, February 1, 2019

Friday Food: A Very Random Week


Friday

Short version: Breakfast sausage links, leftover potatoes, green peas

Long version: Cubby and A. were gone this night. They drove over three hours so Cubby could attend a hunter education class and get his hunting license. The class was two days, so they stayed overnight. I had to pack all their food, as the town the class was in only has one restaurant, and it closes at 3 p.m. Their motel room had a refrigerator and microwave, though, so they had leftover taco meat with tortillas and cheese.

I had to take the other kids with me to the tiny store in the village because we were out of basically everything--even cheese, which is pretty much an emergency in our house--so I got a package of the sausage links the boys love. I had some leftover steak and vegetables, because I do not love sausage links.

Saturday

Short version: Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole, frozen green beans

Long version: "Casserole" means an opportunity to exercise my kitchen creativity. Otherwise known as making it all up. This was a good one, though, so I will write it out here so I remember what I did. And then you also have the benefit of one of my dubious "recipes."

You are so welcome.

Okay! So, three pieces of bacon diced and fried to render the fat, then removed from the skillet and most of the fat poured out of the skillet. (And saved! Never throw out bacon fat.) Then three pounds of ground beef browned, one chopped onion, three cloves of garlic (there sure are a lot of threes in here), three (another one!) medium potatoes grated, about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, some random leftover tomato juice (maybe half a cup), two tomatoes left in a can that I diced up and threw in there, a few tablespoons of ketchup, and a couple of tablespoons of Dijon mustard. I added some water and simmered all of this until the potato shreds were pretty soft, then spread it all in a Pyrex pan. To that I mixed in two eggs beaten with a bit of cream, sprinkled the bacon on top, then four ounces shredded extra-sharp cheese and some fresh ground pepper. Baked at 350 degrees until it was bubbling and the cheese was melted.

Everyone liked this. Charlie--Charlie!--said it was "very good," both he and Jack ate two helpings, and even Poppy ate a shocking amount of it. Winner.

Also, while I was putting this together in the afternoon, I decided it was the perfect time to paint the weird former pass-through right above the kitchen sink that is now boarded over. No sense just standing around while the bacon renders, right?

Besides, this is what it looked like before:


They say you should live with your house for awhile before making any changes. I say living with that institutional fluorescent light and a towel rack meant for a giant for almost two months was about two months too long.

You can see why I was so motivated to do something about that situation, even if that something involved painting in the same kitchen I was cooking in.

Anyway, it looks better now:


The lamp is not actually dented on the right side. Must be a trick of the light. Also, do you like how it highlights the row of knives on my new magnetic strip? A bit demented in several ways.

And I didn't even get any paint in the food! My multi-tasking medal is on its way, I'm sure.

Sunday

Short version: Ribeye steaks, rice, roasted carrots/bell pepper/onion/mushrooms, grape tomatoes, brownies

Long version: Another Sunday, another dessert. I used this recipe for the brownies, and I will totally endorse it. The reason I approve of this recipe is . . . well, there are several reasons. For one, it only requires one bowl. For another, it only calls for cocoa powder, but makes very rich and chocolatey brownies. Hooray for no chopping of chocolate. I HATE chopping chocolate. And lastly, it makes a reasonable quantity of brownies. I do not need a 9x13 pan of brownies. NO ONE needs a 9x13 pan of brownies, unless you're making brownies for a party, I suppose.

Do note, however, that there is no leavener in the recipe, so if cake-like brownies are your thing, this recipe is not for you. These are very dense and more fudgey.

Anyway. They were easy, and good, and I'm going to write that recipe down for future reference. Two of my personal notes: I had to bake them for about 40 minutes before they were done, instead of the 25 minutes suggested in the original recipe. Part of that is my high altitude, though. And despite the recipe stressing to use the best possible cocoa powder, I used Hershey's because that's what I had, and they were still good. I'm sure they'd be better with better cocoa powder, but don't be deterred if you don't have Valrhona or whatever on hand.

That was a lot of words about brownies. All you really need to know is that they were crowd-approved.


And here the crowd is, working on retrieving a tiny Lego piece that fell in the heating vent. They got it in the end, only to eventually lose it for good when I found it one too many times in Poppy's mouth. Stick with the brownies, baby. They taste better and are much less likely to choke you.

Monday

Short version: Pulled pork, leftover rice, carrot and apple slaw

Long version: I didn't have any cabbage, but I did have two green apples that Charlie had asked me to buy at the store. So I just used one grated apple and three grated carrots with my usual coleslaw recipe. It was a bit sweeter than regular coleslaw, but everyone except Cubby really liked it. Yes! Cubby this time, not Charlie! These kids like to keep me guessing.

Tuesday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, garlic bread, roasted sweet potatoes and onions, green salad

Long version: I had to take Jack back to the clinic in the larger village for another try at getting his four-year vaccinations*, so we went to the grocery store while we were there, obviously. And I bought one of those plastic containers of pre-washed organic baby spring mix.

I do not ever buy those plastic containers. The greens never taste very good and always seem to be just on the verge of rotting. Plus, plastic makes me unhappy. It was a moment of weakness, perhaps brought on by the proximity of so many lettuce plants in my house that I can't eat yet. My options for lettuce at the store were romaine--which seems to constantly be the subject of e. coli alerts--iceberg, and this seemingly out of place organic spring mix. It looked completely unwilted, so I took a chance on it. It was okay. Better than iceberg or e. coli, but I really can't wait to have my own lettuce in my backyard.

Now I need to find a use for the plastic container, too. Maybe I'll use it to start my basil seeds.

Wednesday

Short version: Tacos, sick-mom soup

Long version: I started to feel a cold coming on, so of course, I immediately made some soup. Cubby comes by his love of soup from his maternal side. This soup was bacon, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, tomato juice, vermouth, collards, cabbage, potatoes, and chicken stock.

I ate mine just with cheese--extra-sharp cheddar, and thank you, Cracker Barrel, for distributing good cheese so widely that I can even find it at the tiny grocery store near me. The rest of the family was going to get eggs, but then I discovered A. had brought back almost all of the taco meat I had packed for their weekend overnight trip, so they got to have tacos instead. Lucky them.

Thursday

Short version: Leftover soup, grilled cheese sandwiches

Long version: Still sick. All my soup got eaten and it's all gone now, though. Bummer.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

*  We were only partially successful, as they were out of one of the vaccines he needed. So we have to go back. That's another 120 miles roundtrip. I was very not pleased about this.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try your recipe!?! for the ground beef casserole, most likely with a few changes due to what I have leftover.
Saturday - baked chicken thighs, roasted potatoes, sautéed cabbage
Sunday - went out to eat after church, so just had cheese & crackers for dinner
Monday - roasted chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, kale salad
Tuesday - salsa chicken & beans in the crockpot over spinach with taco shells on the side
Wednesday - spaghetti, garlic bread, spinach & cabbage salad
Thursday - chicken cheese steak sandwiches, kale salad
(Lots of chicken this week!!)
Friday - leftovers or scrambled eggs
Do you folks still go on the Friday adventures? You haven't posted about it recently.
Knives look good hanging over the sink. I like that light. Looks good!
Linda

Anonymous said...


Saturday - Had a small amount of leftover roast so I hunted around in the fridge for more bits and pieces to use up and scored...shredded beef, random cheese and green chili burritos, cantaloupe, and homemade chips to use up the tortillas


Sunday - Veg drawer clean out - heavy on the carrots and potatoes stew made in the crockpot, biscuits with butter and honey


Monday - Chicken and kielbasa pasta, spinach salad with mandarin oranges, bread sticks


Tuesday - Use up the rest of the chicken Orange chicken and rice, pepper and zucchini sauté

Wednesday - Twice baked potatoes, rest of spinach and peppers salad, finish up the bread sticks (can you tell we like carbs??

Thursday - Ham and potato hash, scrambled eggs, toast


Friday - Plan on making salsbery steaks, sautéed green beans, cheese bread

mil said...

The casserole sounds very tasty! My week was boring, as I slow-roasted some pork and ate away at it:
Friday: horrible gluten free pasta and red sauce; this was a quinoa blend gluten-free pasta, and it did not cook evenly. Nasty, but I was hungry.
Saturday: hospital gala –some rather feeble beef stew (supposedly beef with burgundy; none that I could taste) and equally feeble chicken
Sunday: mushroom and ham and cheese frittata. Tasty gleanings from the fridge.
Monday: roast pork; made a Madeira cake for Barb’s birthday, beets. The Madeira cake was from Mary Berry (of the British Baking Show). One is supposed to serve it with Madeira (there is none in the cake itself), but since I was taking it to the local pub, I did not bring Madeira.
Tuesday: pork roast in juices, polenta, broccoli with lemon
Wednesday: pork roast in juices, beets
Thursday: the rest of the pork, two Empire apples, some provolone. I had meetings and put together a dinner of this and that across several hours.

Sara said...

Sorry the fried okra didn't work out as expected last week. I've never used corn flour so don't know if that was the problem or not.

Friday - peanut butter toast made with awful store bought bread. If i lived closer I would have taken the bread back, it was truly awful. Emergency run to the city late in the afternoon. I was too exhausted to care. just needed the calories when I got home so I could lay down. Not sure what the ones at home ate, other than it most likely came out of a can as I am apparently the only one that can cook around here.

Saturday - mushroom stroganoff. When in the city, I ran by the grocery to grab some fresh fruit. All the fruit looked past prime so I passed. But I got 3lbs of mushrooms, major bargain because they accidentally over-ordered.

Sunday - more mushroom stroganoff to stash in the freezer for future meals. Freezes well, just don't add the sour cream. Add it at serving time.

Monday - we didn't eat. Awful day. My sick cat died late afternoon.

Tuesday - bbq chicken that I had stashed in the freezer. Jasmine rice and broccoli (I think).

Wed - freezer soup. I can't remember if it was potato or cauliflower. It was white and tasty. lol Ice cream for dessert.

Thursday - fried rice from Tuesday's left over rice. We ate it but even I will admit it wasn't good. New replacement wok. Food was burning yet not heating through. Ehh....it just needs more conditioning.

Sara said...

Oh and good job on painting! Wish you would come here next!

Anonymous said...

The casserole does sound good, I like making things up as I go and having it turn out well.
Sunday: ham, egg and cheese breakfast casserole
Monday: School closed- snow day. Sauteed cabbage, onion, kielbasa and egg noodles. Haluski, but better.
Tuesday: School closed- dangerous cold. Ordered pizza, tipped well. Daughter won our March Madness family game last year and called in her dinner choice.
Wednesday: School closed- dangerous cold. Turkey and veggie wraps with spicy hummus.
Thursday: School closed- dangerous cold. Spaghetti pie from A Family Feast blog.
Friday:Glory be school is back on! Reuben pizza, I'll add some caraway seed to the crust then pastrami, swiss, thousand island and sauerkraut.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: I just love it that you actually make these random recipes. Good luck with this one. Our Fridays now feature things like building cold frames and picking up rusty nails and glass. Not sure that can be considered adventurous, but it is necessary in a new (old) house.

Anonymous: I also love carbs. They do not love me, alas.

Sara: That sounds like a terrible week. I'm sorry about your cat. And please don't apologize about the okra. Even without the coating, it was still the best way I found to cook it. Everyone liked it.

Anonymous #2: I will now be dreaming of a Reuben pizza. I LOVE Reubens.

Kay said...

It's been a long week again. I am well again but my boss was gone all week and we were BUSY! (Polar Vortex means lots of work for an HVAC company.)

Sunday: No idea. Polar Vortex must have frozen it out of my mind.

Monday: He had a leftover burger and I think I had a salad. ??

Tuesday: Breakfast Night. Eggs, bacon & toast. (Sorry to say, I tossed the bacon grease. This package was pretty strong tasting and smelling.)

Wednesday: He had pan-fried ham sandwich. I had a salad.

Thursday: Date Night for groceries and Tex-Mex. He had enchiladas and I had nachos. We both had a much-needed adult beverage.

Friday: Date night at home. We were both exhausted from the week. I had a salad with eggs on top. He had a big salad and bagel pizza bites.

Saturday: (today) I NEEDED to cook. I miss it. We are having Short Ribs in the IP, mashed potatoes, I'll have a salad and he'll have some kind of veggie and garlic bread. (Later: It was good but I like Short Ribs braised in the oven better. )

I'm going to have to start writing it down as the week goes. By Saturday I've forgotten Sunday & Monday. Hope everyone gets to eat something yummy for Super Bowl Sunday. I'm looking forward to next week's listings.

Anonymous said...

Love what you did with the lantern. I hate fluourescent lighting - you are right describing it as institutional. What a great idea running hunter ed classes! I think C would love something like that. Food wise here - two roasts and lots of things with leftover chicken - stir frys, curries. Trying to get out of the potato rut, and it is hard! J xx