Friday, March 15, 2019

Friday Food: Camping and Traveling


Not that Poppy and I did any of the camping or traveling, but the rest of the family did.

Friday

Short version: Tilapia, fresh bread, green salad

Long version: A. had found some frozen tilapia fillets at the grocery store the day before, so he got them for our no-meat Lenten Friday meal. He cooked them in the oven covered in garlic, lemon juice, and a full stick of butter. He joked that he's going to start a cooking site dedicated to ways to get the most fat into your food.

He might not be joking about that, actually.

I had to bake bread right before dinner, so instead of frying potatoes as I had planned, I decided to just slice the still-warm bread and cover it in butter. Yum.

Saturday

Short version: Camp food for the boys, leftovers for the girls

Long version: For the campers, I made what A. calls Hobo Packets, which is any kind of food that can be wrapped up in aluminum foil and heated up in the coals of a fire. In this case, I put in boiled sliced potatoes--tossed with butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika--plus slices of leftover steak on top of that. I also put a couple of extra pats of butter on the steak, as it was quite lean.


Perfection for a meat-and-potatoes man like A.

In addition, they had Fritos, cheese, carrot sticks, apples, and marshmallows. The latter three were apparently all roasted over the fire on sticks. Charlie tells me he likes carrots cooked this way, but no way else. So if I want him to eat cooked carrots, I have to spear them and cook them over an open fire. 

Duly noted. And unlikely.

Poppy and I had a mixture of diced leftover potato and pot roast cooked in a skillet with a couple of tomatoes from an open can in the refrigerator, green peas, and some garlic powder. This was very good, actually, and didn't require any real cooking to get a hot meal. Hooray for leftovers.

Sunday

Short version: Tacos, with avocado! And roasted sweet potatoes/bell pepper/onion.

Long version: Yes, I get excited enough about avocado that I must use an exclamation point. A. went to a big grocery store on Friday and thus was able to get me some avocados. Avocados make everything better.

Monday

Short version: Taco meat skillet, cucumbers with salt and vinegar

Long version: Leftover taco meat + rice + cheddar and pepperjack cheese. Done.

Tuesday

Short version: Ribeye steaks, mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions, frozen green beans

Long version: Nah.

Wednesday

Short version: Roasted chicken thighs, leftover rice, roasted broccoli

Long version: A. and Charlie left for a special father/son trip to Carlsbad this day. To keep Poppy distracted while I was making dinner, I put the little rocking chair in the kitchen, gave her her water bottle, and stationed her attendant behind her to do the rocking.


Because I know how to please a tiny toddler.

Thursday

Short version: Curried chicken salad sandwiches, still-frozen green beans, grape tomatoes

Long version: I had quite a bit of chicken left from Wednesday, which Cubby and Jack requested I make into chicken salad. And then I had to bake bread in the afternoon, so we had fresh bread. It all worked out.

I gave the kids still-frozen green beans to eat while I was putting together dinner and then plopped some grape tomatoes on their plates. Lame, but they got two vegetables in one meal. Go me.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saturday - breaded baked pork chops, baked sliced potatoes, kale salad, homemade applesauce
Sunday - chinese takeout
Monday - baked chicken thighs, garlic bread, sautéed garlic, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage
Tuesday - hot chicken salad, roasted butternut squash & potatoes, homemade applesauce
Wednesday - turkey burger, peas, carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, garlic in crockpot with a broth & tomato sauce added, garlic bread, homemade applesauce
Thursday - Aldi's cheese pizza 1/2 with pepperoni, 1/2 mushrooms, chips, kale salad
Friday - out with friends
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Home made turkey pot pie two days but not consecutive, three for husband. I ate with mom chinese buffet that day.
Fried eggs, smoky links,toast
Pizza from a local tavern. Best around.
Our own venison made in to sausage plus cheese for sandwiches.
Cooked spinach with onions and a splash of wine vinegar. Husband won't touch.But eats it raw in salad.
Home made chicken strips dunked in homemade sweet sour sauce.


Anonymous said...

Week two of our vegetarian quest (daughter and I at any rate...husband is a die hard carnivore) I was better prepared this week.

Sunday - We actually found ourselves at Red Robin (!) and daughter and I decided to split their veggie burger along with some fries and side salad...had a peach milkshake to share to..It wasn't bad (the burger)...the shake was awesome.


Monday - Spicy red beans with chilis onion and peppers over rice, fried plantations, cucumbers

Tuesday - Experiment in homemade veggie burger take 1 (the red robin one was just..meh..thought id try to come up with something more to our taste)...made up a mixture of chickpeas sweet potato's and spices...formed into patties and sautéed….verdict...not bad...husband even tried and said they tasted good..not that he's giving up his beef burger..I topped the "burgers" with lime chipotle mayo (and your right...this needs avocado to make it even better..I'll get some for next time)...rounded out the meal with roasted brussel sprouts that I tossed with balsamic and dried cherries (its better than it sounds..sort of savory/fruity sweet/tart) and homemade cheesy ranch bread...when peaches are in season I'm so totally stealing the peach milkshake idea...so good.


Wednesday - Fettuccini Alfredo (husband had his with some sautéed chicken), many greens salad with vinaigrette, leftover bread from Tuesday


Thursday - Kasha pilaf (very good!), husband ate rest of chicken from wendsday, assorted raw veggie platter and some Havarti cheese


Friday - I'm thinking tacos...

tu mere said...

Friday - Tuna casserole minus noodles and green peas.
Saturday - Oven baked crispy (not really) tofu with oven baked mushrooms, butternut and zucchini squash, onion, garlic cloves.
Sunday - Barbequed chicken, kale and swiss chard cooked with onion, garlic and olives, green beans with amonds, almost sugarless and flourless apple crisp with vanilla ice cream or, my favorite, extra creamy cool whip.
Monday - Bunless hamburgers, cabbage salad, collard green salad with pecans, grated mozzarella cheese, and peanut butter, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper dressing,
Tuesday - Mahi Mahi and Salmon marinated in italian dressing, mashed sweet potatoes, southern collards (cooked with tomatoes and the trifecta), corn bread (we had your cousin Billy visiting).
Wednesday- Baked chicken spiced with onion, garlic, pepper, creole seasoning, topped with spinach, cream cheese and cheddar cheese, baked brussel sprouts with parmesan cheese.
Thursday - Same fish as Tuesday with salsa and sour ceam topping, guacamole, left over sweet potatoes, cabbage salad, and collard greens.
Wow, that was really hard!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: What is hot chicken salad? Is this the casserole I've seen online?

G.P.: Mmm, chicken strips. I just flashed back to college and the chicken place I used to go to for chicken strips at least once a week.

Anonymous: I think it's great you're doing the vegetarian experiment with your daughter. Sounds like your husband thinks it's less great. :-)

Mere: Good job! It's an excellent memory exercise. I cheat and type it out every couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
Oh, just chicken salad baked in the oven for 15-20 mins. with cheese added & bread crumbs & butter on top. Husband likes it! Not sure what the casserole is that you have seen online. This recipe is from 1985 Reader's Digest cookbook called "Quick Thrifty Cooking" that my mom gave me years ago. (I'm showing my age, here!!)
Linda

Kay said...

A week of work, Cyclon in Neb-crazy weather, babysitting.

Saturday: Homemade hamburger pizza

Sunday: Salads topped with breaded shrimp (me) or served with FF (him)

Monday: Leftover ham & fried potatoes (him) or Turkey Burger & Veggies (me)

Tuesday: Waffles, bacon (him); Eggs & bacon & toast (me).

Wednesday: Eggs & Hashbrowns (him) or Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup in the IP (me)

Thursday: Tacos

Friday: Catfish, fries & cole slaw (me) and 2 meat BBQ (him)

Saturday: Date night with friends, Prime rib or ribeye steaks, 2 sides.

On a personal note: Please pray for Nebraska. From Blizzard to Flooding across the state, we are hurting and it's going to be a long road of recovery. As for me & the Farmer, we are OK, just dealing with muddy roads but surrounding areas are flooded. Thanks