Wednesday, June 12, 2019

In Case You Were Wondering . . .


This is what it looks like when you forget to put the sourdough starter in your sourdough bread:


You should, of course, replaced "you" and "your" with "I" and "my."

The worst part is that I realized something was off when I got to the stage where I was supposed to take starter out of the rising dough and put it back into the refrigerator.  There was quite a lot of starter in the jar I was meant to be re-filling and I thought, "Huh. I must not have taken very much out to start with," and continued stupidly on. Despite the fact that nothing was rising. I went all the way to actually baking the bread. I was tipping it out of the pans before I realized that I probably hadn't ever actually put the starter in.

Not my finest moment.

So now I have four heavy, doughy bricks of "bread" to use. 

You didn't think I would THROW IT AWAY, did you? Perish the thought.

I read that they could be used for croutons. Or bread crumbs. Or cracker-ish things, if brushed thinly and re-baked with some oil.

And of course, I will start a new batch of bread tomorrow. With starter in it.


4 comments:

Tara said...

Oops. Huh.
I know it’ll find a use, just a bummer you have to bake bread again so soon.

Anonymous said...

I have days like this, too! It stinks when it happens.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Yes, like Linda said we all have these days. You are lucky it has taken this long to do this. Maybe cracker like sliced thin and toasted . Or grilled cheeses.
or mixed with cheese and eggs for breakfast casserole or french toast. I have no fear you will be able to use it up somehow.
Just as filler for any casserole.

Gemma's person said...

I have though added the starter mixture after I had the bread mixed and mixed it well and added more flour and it worked.