Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Best Organic Pest Control


We got home on Thursday to find that the cabbage plants I had left in the ground after harvesting the main heads had indeed produced mini-heads, just as I was hoping. It's fun to get a secondary harvest.

Unfortunately, the cabbage plants also had an infestation of some kind of bug. There were dozens all over the plants. I didn't see big holes in the foliage, such as I would see when the dreaded cabbage moth attacked in New York, but I had to think that any kind of bug in such numbers was not a good thing.

I started by harvesting the secondary cabbage heads and throwing the plants, along with all their crawling inhabitants, far away. I also destroyed the eggs I found on the cabbage leaves.

Next, after a quick online search, I identified our pests: harlequin bugs. They're a kind of stinkbug, and although they prefer plants in the brassica family--like cabbages--they will attack plants of many kinds. They don't chew the plants, instead sucking the juices out of them so they wilt and die.

I found the next infestation on Cubby's sweet corn.

Luckily, one of the ways to get rid of the bugs is pick them off the plants and drop them into soapy water. I don't particularly relish this task myself, but you know who does? Young boys.

I told Cubby that unless we got rid of these bugs, he wouldn't be getting any corn. Then I handed him an old tomato can filled with Dawn and water, and told him to get to it.

I went out a minute later with Poppy to find him crouched by the can, watching in fascination as the bugs expired. Shortly thereafter, he ran into the house to tell Jack and Charlie that they could come watch bugs drown if they helped.

And just like that, there were four field hands picking bugs off the corn.


Well, Poppy restricted herself to pointing and shouting "Mo!" whenever she spotted another. Also useful.

About ten minutes later, they had dozens of bugs in the can and insisted I take a picture.


Gross.

So now we have guaranteed daily entertainment for them, and fewer bugs to kill plants for me. Everyone wins.

Well, except for the bugs. They definitely lose.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great helpers!
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Have you thought of doing a column or calendar or something with all these things that keep your children happy that doesn't include electronics. Back to the real thing. Life.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

G.P.: Somehow I don't think the majority of parents have access to either a garden or an infestation of bugs to entertain their children. :-) Though I do appreciate the compliment. Also, thanks for your enthusiasm about the watermelon. I mostly have a zest for food, but since food is life . . .

Kay said...

I love Poppy's verbal assistance. A great helper indeed.

mil said...

My first job was finding tomato worms for the neighbors. I think I was little more than Poppy's age--probably about two and a half. It's excellent to know that you are training the children well!