Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Lucky Morning


Mornings are still a crapshoot around here. I understand that there will come a time--generally known as "adolescence"--when my children will want to sleep late and I will have to drag them out of bed.

That time has not yet arrived.

The prime offender of morning wakings is, of course, the youngest. Poppy will wake up anywhere between 4:40 a.m. (yesterday) and 6 a.m. (on lucky mornings). Yesterday's early waking was negated by me going into her room and rubbing her back until she went back to sleep for a little while, because NO ONE is happy when a child is up at 4:40 a.m. Especially the child.

I never go back to sleep after getting woken up, though, so that was it for me.

The second act is always Charlie or Jack. They can get up anytime between 5:30 a.m. (yesterday) and 7 a.m.

I just never know what will happen in the mornings, and I really don't need that kind of excitement in my life. I won't even discuss the middle-of-the-night visits from Charlie and Jack. That's another level of annoyance.

It does make it all the more gratifying when I win the early-morning crapshoot, though.

Yesterday, due to some running around in the morning, Poppy took a very short car nap and then nothing else. This resulted in a complete meltdown from her at dinner, but also in her still sleeping and it is now 5:50 a.m.

Charlie and Jack were up until 9 p.m. discussing monsters, which resulted in me not going to sleep at 8:30 p.m. like I wanted to (thanks to that 4:40 a.m. awakening), but also resulted in them still sleeping.

I just heard the first ominous thumping from their room, and Charlie just emerged (5:54 a.m.) saying he had a weird dream. No doubt about monsters.

BUT.

I drank all three of my cups of coffee* and checked all the Very Important Internet Sites (blogs and Instagram) that I look at when given the chance in the morning.

The unaccustomed quiet did result in my seeing a mouse run across the kitchen floor this morning, but I'm still calling this morning a win.

*Yes, three. See: 4:40 a.m. awakenings and night-time interruptions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. If we popped across into Mountain time, our 5yo would be a seamless fit with that schedule. I do so much better with at least an hour to myself out of the box, but that's rare.

Also, coffee.

Karen.

Mary W said...

Did you get a new coffee mug?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mary W...Does that new mug (if purchased) hold twice the amount as your old one?
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sadly, I did NOT get a new coffee mug. The only ones at the thrift store were standard-sized ones. So bummed. I've been trolling Amazon, but haven't yet made a decision. It's so hard to find a perfect one.