Friday, August 23, 2019

Friday Food: Early Morning Cookery


Friday

Short version: Beefy rice taco skillet, corn on the cob

Long version: We tagged along with A. when he went to a city to pick up a big copy job for work. This was the most exciting part of the trip for the children:


Italian sodas in the historic plaza, under the melancholy gaze of Nuestra Senora de los Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows.) No sorrow from the kids about the Italian sodas. I hadn't had one in years, but they're just as good as I remembered.

We didn't get home until just after 6 p.m. with many groceries to be unloaded from the van and put away. I knew we were going to be gone until dinnertime, so in the morning I cut some chunks off a big sirloin roast I had taken out of the freezer for A. to make jerky, simmered the chunks with onion, garlic, tomato juice, cumin, and chili powder until they were tender, then put that in the refrigerator.

When I got home, I reheated the meat, added the rice left over from the night before, stirred in some grated cheddar cheese, and served it up.

This is the time of year that the roadside stand goes up in this city with produce from Colorado. I got peaches, corn on the cob, and a watermelon (with seeds, of course). The corn I shucked and wrapped in a wet towel to microwave it. This is a good trick to know when you don't have time to boil a big pot of water. Or don't want to heat your kitchen by boiling a big pot of water. The children were thrilled to have corn on the cob.

Saturday

Short version: Pulled pork sandwiches, cucumbers with vinegar and salt, watermelon

Long version: As is my habit these days, I cooked the pork in the morning, pulled it apart, and stuck it in the refrigerator to re-heat at dinnertime, with some barbecue sauce. Cubby was very happy. He tells me that pulled pork sandwiches are his favorite kind of sandwich. They are awfully good.

This was the watermelon we got at the roadside stand in the city, and it was the best watermelon we've had so far this summer.

Sunday

Short version: Leftover pulled pork sandwiches, carrot sticks, scrambled eggs with feta and chives, sauteed bell peppers and onions, peaches and cream

Long version: The children ate the sandwiches and carrot sticks, A. and I ate eggs and peppers and onions, and everyone except Jack ate the peaches and cream. He lost his dessert because of an unfortunate incident with a can of spray paint he was using as a weapon against his brothers. Luckily, he didn't actually manage to hit anyone, but he still had to punished.

The peaches, like the watermelon, were exceptionally good. Of course, pretty much all fruit is improved by peeling it and adding sugar and cream. But even completely unadorned, as I ate mine, the peaches were sweet and delicious. Way to go, Colorado.

Monday

Short version: Meatballs in marinara sauce, pasta, sauteed green beans

Long version: I made the meatballs and sauce in the morning (of course), but I only used a partial can of opened tomatoes in the refrigerator to make the sauce, so there was only enough for the meatballs.

The kids are the only ones eating the pasta, anyway and they're just as happy to have it with just butter, garlic powder, pepper, and Parmesan cheese, so it all worked out.

When I went out to pick the green beans, I was startled by the re-appearance of the resident green bean snake, who I hadn't seen in a few days and was hoping had re-located. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a harmless snake, but even non-venomous snakes can bite. I keep a very wary eye on it and don't pick anything in its vicinity.


If this is some kind of viper rather than a garter snake, someone please tell me.

Tuesday

Short version: Flank steak, mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions, alliterative vegetables

Long version: Hey look, a whole meal that I did not make in the morning! Which is why my kitchen was 85 degrees when we sat down to eat.

Anyway.

The children ate the two ears of corn I still had left--and every single child except Poppy complained that they were only getting half an ear--A. ate some cucumber, and I ate some fried cabbage. The vegetable letter of the day was apparently "c."

Wednesday

Short version: T-bone steaks, garlic bread, roasted bell pepper/onion/green beans, roasted garlic

Long version: A storm conveniently blew in just as I was cranking up the oven to cook the bread and vegetables, blessedly lowering the temperature in the house by several degrees. Hooray.

Thursday

Short version: Beef goulash with potatoes and carrots

Long version: Can you guess when I made this long-cooking meal? Lemme give you a hint: starts with an "a," ends with an "m," and has two periods.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess for the goulash meal - A's birthday?
My view on the snake & any snake, the only good one is a dead one. Probably the way some people feel about spiders. It looks like a garter, but I'm not sure.
S- chicken breast & gravy over riced cauliflower, sautéed carrots, mushrooms & spinach
S - leftover chicken, sautéed mushrooms, steamed green beans, garlic bread
The rest of the week vacation.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention... I always make my sweet corn in the microwave, like you, since there is just two of us. Easy!
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Yes garter snake of some kind.
They eat frog ,toads and earthworms and have a stinky smell they can put out.

Anonymous said...

Your snake looks to be a Western Garter Snake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_terrestrial_garter_snake

Kay said...

Saturday: We were out and about all day so supper was super easy. The grandbabies were here and they had various pasta things and cheese and green beans. Later we had frozen appetizer things (jalapeno poppers, little pizzas) and salads

Sunday: Ate out when we got groceries. Quesadillas & fajitas

Monday: Salisbury Meatballs, mashed potatoes. No veggies as it got too late.

Tuesday: SO STINKIN HOT, so we had Chopped Salads and Watermelon

Wednesday: Breakfast for supper, New sausage (we just got a 1/2 a pork) and eggs. His with cheese, mine with lots of veggies.

Thursday: Fish squares on buns (him) and fries. I had a big tomato & cucumber with feta salad and leftover sauted veg from Wed. I had peaches & cream for dessert.

Friday: Errands in the city after a really long stressful day (week) at work. A very lovely ribeye steak, baked potato, green beans and he had ribs, fries and salad and we both had a much-wanted adult beverage.

Today I am making peach jam and canning pears. Whatever we have for supper will be very easy.

Tara said...

Sunday- Italian sausage, grilled chicken and grilled asparagus

Monday - I was late to dinner , but Shannon made super spicy jerk chicken (that I was barely able to bear tasting and am kinda glad I missed), broccoli cheese tots, and canned corn.

Tues- box mac and cheese, steaks and salad.

Wednesday - hoagies, salad, tater tots and sweet potato tots.

Thurs: potato and tuna Italian patties (new recipe and SO GOOD - although my family is boring and only tolerated them) with lemon aioli, roasted Brussels sprout and mashed potatoes.

Fri- out for dinner. I got a steak, cabbage chimichurri bowl and a beer.