Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday Food: Elk, Elk, Brisket


Friday

Short version: Elk goulash with potatoes, home-frozen green beans

Long version: Elk meat simmered until tender in a sauce of tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a lot of paprika, then I added in some already-cooked potato chunks and sour cream. Ta da! Goulash. With elk. It was pretty good.

Saturday

Short version: Thin elk steaks, garlic bread, frozen peas

Long version: The hunk of elk I happened to pull out of the bag lended itself well to pounding thin and quickly searing, so that's what I did. I didn't season the steaks except for with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

I am not a proponent of letting children eat ketchup with everything. Ketchup is reserved for hamburgers, meatloaf, and french fries in our house. But I did allow them to dip their elk in the ketchup this time. They're getting kind of tired of elk, so I thought they could use a little incentive to eat it.

Garlic bread is also a good incentive. They'll eat anything on their plates if they know they can get seconds of fresh garlic bread. Who wouldn't, right?

Sunday

Short version: Cheeseburger casserole skillet, frozen green beans and corn

Long version: I was sort of going for a lazy re-creation of this casserole that everyone liked so much, but since I made it with leftover hamburgers, leftover potatoes, and leftover roasted onions, and also didn't have bacon or use eggs, it was definitely not as good. Cubby ate three helpings, though, so it was certainly palatable.

Can you tell I was pretty much out of fresh vegetables? Yup. And that's why God created frozen vegetables. Or rather, why Clarence Birdseye created them.

Monday

Short version: A.'s Special Feet Stew, leftovers, carrot sticks

Long version: A. made a stew out of pigs' feet, posole (hominy), and chiles. All the children ate the posole part and at least tried the feet, because if Daddy's eating it, it must be good. They also ate some of the leftover cheeseburger casserole.

And here's the foot-cooker himself:


This is A.'s impression of the face people make when they're "unboxing" things for Instagram (which I totally don't get). It made me laugh for about five minutes straight. Luckily, A. is not on Instagram.

Tuesday

Short version: Elk tacos, homemade corn tortillas, mashed squash, home-frozen green beans, frozen corn

Long version: In an effort to appease the children, who are starting to get rebellious about eating elk, I made homemade tortillas, even though it was a weeknight.

They still weren't too pleased about the elk, but they ate it. And then some extra tortillas with just cheese.

The squash was a bag from the freezer that I figured I should start using since I put it there a few months ago. It wasn't one of the most flavorful squash, but it was fine. And this week has been slim pickings for vegetables of any kind, so it seemed a good time to use it.

Wednesday

Short version: Elk chili/potato/cheese skillet, mashed squash, frozen corn

Long version: After a day of both work and a 4-H meeting and not getting home until almost 6 p.m., the best I could do was put together leftovers in a skillet with grated cheese, nuke some frozen corn, and call it good.

It wasn't actually that good, but it was edible and everyone was hungry, so it was good enough.

And now for a random photo break! A. took Cubby, Charlie, and the dogs to our neighbor's canyon a couple of weeks ago to explore the bottom and took this photo:


The children don't show up so well in the shadow, but isn't the light behind them fantastic?

Thursday

Short version: Brisket, caramelized onions, fried potatoes, Not-Grandma-Brown's baked beans, mashed squash, home-frozen green beans

Long version: It all started with the brisket. It was the first thing I came up with when I looked in the freezer for something besides elk. I put that in a pan with water, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, covered it tightly, and cooked it at 300 degrees for several hours.

Since the oven was on, I put in the last of the big gray-green volunteer squash to cook. That I just cut in half, de-seeded and put upside down on a pan with a bit of water to cook.

I was already simmering some of my never-ending stock of pinto beans, so I decided to use the oven even more and make some baked beans: pinto beans, diced onion, maple syrup, vinegar, ketchup, mustard, and water. I would have put in bacon if I had had some.

And then, since I had most of an onion left after using some in the baked beans, I sliced it thinly and put it in the oven to caramelize.

Everyone was very happy with this meal. Probably mostly because it wasn't elk, but it was really good. The onions with the brisket were fantastic. The baked beans turned out well, although everyone agreed they weren't as good as Grandma Brown's.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

7 comments:

sheila said...

How much more of that elk is there?

Elk jerky?

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming, by your food post that you were unable to use any of the meat from the male lamb that got caught in the fencing.

Meals we ate this week: shepherds pie, baked chicken thighs, chicken divan, zucchini pizza, homemade mac n' cheese & tonight scrambled eggs.
Side dishes: salad, twice baked potatoes, sautéed spinach, cabbage & mushrooms, noodles, raisin bread, garlic bread.
And brownies for dessert.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for my crock pots...its been a hectic week

M - crockpot potato soup with bread and cheese
T - homade mac n cheese that I made ahead of time with corn and crockpot pinto beans
W - crockpot turkey roast, yams, leftover beans and the last of the homade bread
T- black bean, mashed yam and turkey enchiladas, corn chips and avocados
F - put the leftover turkey in the crock pot with broth and whatever vegetable I could find...so...everything in the pot soup, think I'll make grilled cheese sandwitches to go with
S - plan on baking potatoes in the crockpot and then transforming them into twice baked...spinach salad to round things out

Like I said...thank goodness for crockpots... lol

mil said...

I ate pretty random stuff this week--chicken that seemed to go on forever, some roast pork in barbeque sauce that threatens to do the same, some pasta with meat sauce, which was a nice change, and LOTS of swiss chard, which I froze in a big bag. It goes on forever, too. They say leafy greens are very good for health, so I should be healthy this week. Great canyon shot.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sheila: I think at least four gallon bags stuffed full, which I'm guessing is about forty pounds. A. has made some of it into jerky and the kids liked that. Maybe I can get him to do some more.

Linda: The lamb wasn't big enough to eat. They don't get any meat on their bones for at least a few months. It was given a sad burial in the pasture.

Anonymous: That's a lot of Crockpotting. Your twice-baked potatoes gave me an idea, though, to try that with the huge potatoes we have. I haven't made twice-baked potatoes in forever.

MiL: Chard is definitely one of the expanding foods. Like cabbage.

Kay said...

Friday: Normally Date Night (aka Groceries). Nicer Steak Place, Ribeye, potato, salad, adult beverage
Saturday: Easy stuff since I was working on taxes: Can't remember what we ate, but I did cook up a pork roast in the Instant Pot for carnitas during the week.
Sunday: We normally eat lunch out after church and then it's whatever we each can find for supper: Can't remember
Monday: Farmer was off work for a meeting so took me out for lunch, which was Pizza Buffet. Supper: Popcorn (him) & chopped Salad (me)
Tuesday: Breakfast for dinner - Bacon, Pancakes (for him), eggs with spinach and mushroom (for me.)
Wednesday: Sloppy Joes, Chips, Canned peas (him); Carnitas & salad for me.
Thursday: Chef Salads
Friday: Date Night again; Nachos for him, Bourbon Street Chicken for me.

Gemma's person said...

Sloppy joses.
All your food choices sound great to me.
Try some Asian elk/rice.
Or Swedish elk balls.
Italian spiced elk subs.