Tuesday, February 25, 2020

It's Fat Tuesday! Let's Eat


I have mentioned before that I just can't get behind Shrove Tuesday pancakes as a great indulgence before Lent starts tomorrow on Ash Wednesday. I mean, sure, pancakes are delicious and all, but are they really the most indulgent meal to have before forty days of penance? We can eat pancakes during Lent. In fact, we probably will eat pancakes during Lent, on a Friday when we're not eating meat.

And so today, we will not be celebrating Shrove Tuesday with pancakes. We will be celebrating with a large chunk of fatty pork and mashed potatoes. Laissez bon temps rouler, as my people would say.

How about you? Do you have any good day-before-Ash-Wednesday traditions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in northeast PA we celebrate by eating fasnacht's today. (Donuts) Not me though.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: I can get behind donuts as a pre-Lenten indulgence. I do love donuts.

Joellen said...

I am in Mobile, AL and have gone to four parades today. I have eaten cheese grits, corn dog, nachos, funnel cake, pizza, and am going to eat leftover ribs and potato casserole before bed. I am giving up carbs for Lent, so I am trying to eat them all today!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Joellen: Now THAT is a proper Fat Tuesday.

mil said...

The obligatory pancakes here--buckwheat. I spotted several people at the church pancake supper wearing ropes of Mardi Gras beads--but all the other trappings of Mardi Gras were sadly lacking. No king cakes, either--though Wegman's stocks them, all purple and yellow and green--

Gemma's person said...

My girlfriends and I got together for a lunch buffet, all you can eat style.

Anonymous said...

We made filled donuts last night. They were good.