Sunday, November 29, 2020

Another Domestic Pat on the Back

I've done it again. I've cleaned something so neglected and disgusting in my kitchen that I feel the need to announce it to the Internet at large.

Lucky Internet.

Last time I did this, it was the high edges of my kitchen cabinets that I had spent a lot of time cleaning*.  Then I shared my subsequent pride in this (admittedly minor) accomplishment with all of you. And then you all told me the unappreciated but satisfying tasks you had accomplished yourselves so that we could all indulge in some mutual appreciation.

It was nice. Let's do that again.

So! This time it was the top of my refrigerator. I, um, do not remember the last time I really cleaned this. I store some things up there--the extra-large bags of store-brand cereal we buy, the large economy box of oatmeal, the extra-long roll of aluminum foil that doesn't fit in a drawer--so cleaning it requires first clearing it off.

Also, I'm five feet, five inches tall, so I don't actually see the top of my refrigerator unless I climb up on a chair to retrieve something.

A., however, who is over six feet, can see it. And did see it when he was looking for something up there. Even A., who is possibly the least fussy man on the planet when it comes to house cleaning, said he was a little shocked.

Yeah. It was gross. It was that special combination of grease and dust that builds up in kitchens--or at least, in my kitchen--with the added complication of the textured surface of this refrigerator that traps all this stuff and requires serious scrubbing to get clean.

Nothing for it but to get scrubbing, however. So I got some very soapy water in the sink, my old nylon scrubby thing that I keep for just such disgusting jobs, and got to it.

Ew.

It was probably only about 15 minutes of actual scrubbing, but it was HARD scrubbing. My hands were cramping by the time I was done. 

But it's done now! And I took a picture for you:


Back to its original white. A great improvement over sticky gray. Yuck.

I did not take a "before" picture, because this is supposed to be self-congratulations, not self-castigation about its original filthy state.

So tell me! What have you done lately that I can applaud you for?

* Okay, so it was only 45 minutes, but that's about 40 minutes longer than I want to be climbing up and down and scrubbing grease and dirt.

12 comments:

Quilty Chaos said...

I cleaned off my sewing table so I could trim the 8 quilts I need to bind before Christmas and I DIDN'T just pile everything on a different flat surface, I put it all away.

Anonymous said...

I cleared out the "broom closet" where most things were piled on the floor among the dust and dirt. I did this during the first stay-at-home period in Minnesota. Now, guess what, it is in the same condition as before. So don't look at the top of the refrigerator for another few years at least! Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Q.C.: Putting things away rather than just shifting piles is definitely an accomplishment.

Mary: The repetitive nature of housework is one of the most dispiriting things about it.

Cheryl said...

I also suffer from being too short to see the top of the refrigerator. My husband also frequently pointed out to me that something needed to be done about the top of the fridge. I got new kitchen cabinets and made sure the new cabinet over the refrigerator came all the way out to the front of the refrigerator. Thousands of dollars later problem solved. There are a few other areas in my house that need some attention but by husband is not pushing it.

samcarter said...

The top of the fridge always gets so gross! Cleaning out the shoe/coat closet is always a big one for me. Nobody but me (I am convinced) notices how grody it gets in there. Ditto for the space behind the toilets. We mop the bathrooms regularly, but guess where the mop doesn't fit? Behind the grossest part of the bathroom.

Today I cleaned out my desk. Literally nobody cares about this but me, but it feels SO GOOD to toss all those things I printed out/saved and forgot about. Finally put my brother's and my school photos where they belong, rather than a folder in the back of my desk. Go me!

Gemma's person said...

My hand can opener only minutes ago...it didn't want to open or close easily. I put straight dishsoap on it, waited a little bit then took my scrub brush and brushed the he double toothpicks out of it and cleaner than new.
I will also have to admit to starting to clean the stuff on top of the cabinets , getting rid of some and making a keep area. Use straight dishsoap with just a tad of water and do it under the faucet. Cleans the stuff right off without much scrubbing at all. Try it, you'll like it!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cheryl: I do not think that option is going to be available to me. :-)

samcarter: Go you, indeed.

G.P. Dishsoap does many wonderful things. I saw recently it's also good for cleaning bathtubs, although I haven't tried that yet.

Jody said...

My son needed to pull out our stove to fix a switch for a burner. Well, if you've never pulled your stove out before, I dare you to do it when you have a few extra minutes because you will need to clean. So I did. But while I was behind the pulled-out stove, I looked up. Big mistake. I cleaned the hood, too.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jody: High fives to both you and your son. I have pulled out stoves several times in my life. It's never pretty. Even worse is behind refrigerators. Haven't done that one here yet . . .

Karen. said...

I have nothing to brag about, just here to say that the fridge (top, behind, coils, under, interior, outsides) has lingered on my list for a terribly long time. It's daunting.

Cheryl, you made me laugh. :D

Anonymous said...

I cleaned out about 60% of our mud room to make room to install our new water heater. If you haven't noticed, water heaters are now HUGE, and even the 40 gallon size did not fit in the old space. And I cleaned up the detrius left after the installation as well (which is certainly not one of my strong points).

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Ew. Mud rooms are gross. Good for you.