Thursday, January 14, 2021

A Quick Condiment Survey

After a conversation I had online about what condiments might be in my refrigerator, I started wondering how many condiments normal people keep on hand.

I don't count myself as normal, because I just don't buy a lot of prepared foods of any sort. And my food is really boring--as evidenced by the very repetitive Friday Food posts here--so having just a few things on hand works for me. If I were making a lot of differently flavored foods, like Indian or Japanese, I'm sure I would have a lot of different things on hand.

As it is, I counted the purchased condiments on my refrigerator door and came up with four: Salsa, mustard, mayonnaise, and ketchup. I also usually have bottled lemon juice and jelly, though I don't know if those count as condiments.

I often have ranch dressing, vinaigrette, and chili sauce around, too, but I make those myself.

So, my question for you: How many purchased condiments do you have in your refrigerator on a regular basis? You don't have to list them, I was wondering more about the quantity.

14 comments:

Kevin said...

I have about 20 condiments on hand. Mostly Chinese type as that is currently my favorite food.

Cathy R said...

My numbers are pretty low right now because my fridge died a couple of months ago and I lost everything... Salad dressings, mustards, chutney, katchup, mayo, relish... they all add up. I would say 15 or so in total.

Gemma's person said...

16

Jody said...

I can't even guess because we just moved all of my dad's condiments into our house yesterday. But we have more than you normally. . . lots of hot sauces-- not all store-bought.

Anonymous said...

Just counted. I have 27 in my refrigerator door. We cook a variety of foods.

Quilty Chaos said...

I'm not going to count, that would be super embarrassing, but my entire top shelf and one of the doors is all condiments and related stuff like cream cheese, butter & jelly.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kevin: A whole world of condiments that I don't even know about . . .

Cathy: Ugh. That's a bummer.

Jody: Yay! I'm so glad you got your dad (and his condiments) moved in.

Q.C.: You must have very flavorful meals. :-)

Anonymous said...

11
Linda

Steph said...

At least 5-6 in the fridge and a whole cupboard full of indian spices/ chinese vinegars etc. I only have a few ready prepared though- ketchup, mayo, mustard (couple of kinds), spicy mayo sweet chilli sauce (I'm lazy).

Anonymous said...

I counted 19 jars or bottles of things that I would call condiments. Among them are 3 different kinds of mustard and 7 different hot sauces. I didn't count the jars of jelly and syrup that might be considered a condiment according to the Wikipedia definition of condiment. There are other jars containing ingredients that I like to use when cooking that don't fit the condiment definition. Sometimes it seems that my fridge is used only for housing condiments and other things like Thai red curry paste.
Pam in Maine

Claire said...

we're moving next week, so I am actually trying to eat them up... so far
ketchup
mayo
2 sorts of mustard
sriracha
piri piri
condensed tamarind
an expired raspberry vinegar which turned solid
miso paste
fish sauce
low sodium soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
ginger-balasamic vinegar I am trying to use up
maple syrup
pickled ginger
homemade cranberry sauce (thanks mum)
wasabi
... so 17 ! By the way, I discovered a great marinade or to dip stuff last week: just mix equal amounts of sriracha sauce with honey, yummy and super easy

Kay said...

Going off memory because I'm too snug in my blanket to go look.
8 Asian meal types
6 sandwich types
8 salad dressings
3 Mexican
8 jellys/jams/preserves

These are what I call condiments. I buy preserves/jams and unusual salad dressings when we are on vacation or shopping new areas.

Karen. said...

Oh man. More than four. Ha.

Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, horseradish, tabasco, ranch dressing, two kinds of pickled pepper/onion mix.

Daisy said...

We have quite a few - and several of those are hot sauces because darling husband and son Amigo love heat in their foods. Me, not so much. I pickle jalapeno peppers for them, and sweet banana peppers for me.