Friday, January 15, 2021

Friday Food: Fresh Fish, Giant Pork, and Bull Chili

Friday

Short version: Fish, leftover pasta with pesto and mashed potatoes, frozen corn, mashed squash

Long version: I managed to cook the fish we brought home from our great ice-fishing adventure, but heating up leftovers to go with it was about as much extra food preparation as I could manage.

It was a fun trip, but man, talk about exhausting.

Saturday

Short version: Fish cakes, leftover pork, rice, mashed squash, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: Those two fish were so big, we actually had some left over. So I used that to make fish cakes (leftover fish, bread crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, dill). There were only four fish cakes, though, so I fried the rest of the leftover pork, too.

Random (and I do mean random) photo break!


It's a Christmas tree! It's a candy cane! It's . . . Super Pandemic Princess Poppy! Or the Masked Bear Crusader? Or something. Your guess is as good as mine.

Sunday

Short version: Bull chili, rice, chocolate chip cookies

Long version: I put one of the half-gallon jars of pressure-canned bull meat to simmer all day with onion, garlic, green chili, tomatoes, cumin, and red chili powder. 

The children had it over rice with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Cubby made the chocolate chip cookies the day before, just because he felt like making cookies. Fine with me. I didn't want to bake anything for the Sunday dessert, anyway.

Monday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, fried onions, bread and butter, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: These were the extra hamburgers I had formed and frozen the week before. Very handy.

Tuesday

Short version: Pork, mashed potatoes, roasted onions, steamed broccoli

Long version: I finally found the courage to face one of the absolutely ENORMOUS packages of pork A. brought home from the store a month or so ago. The label said it was two pork butt roasts, but they must have been off a seriously gigantic hog.

 
One-cup measure for scale. I mean, is that obscene or what?

I pulled it out before I went to bed the night before and when I got to it around 8 a.m., it was just thawed enough to manage, but not thawed so much that I couldn't put some of it back into the freezer. Good thing, because that would have been an intimidating amount of meat to deal with in one day.

Unfortunately, the roasts did have a bone, so I just kind of hacked the roasts into rough pieces around the bones and put the pieces that were still frozen back into the freezer. The rest of it went into my enameled cast iron Dutch oven to cook for a few hours until it was tender. At dinnertime, I just spread some of the pulled-apart pork on a sheet pan with some of the rendered fat, plus salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and broiled it all.

The onion was a huge one I sliced and cooked while the pork was cooking, and I was very glad I did. It was in there long enough to get a little caramelized, and it was great with the meat.

See? I'm following my own tip to Just Cook the Onion. Never a mistake.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftover pork two ways, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: The kids had the pork as pulled pork sandwiches with barbecue sauce. A. and I had ours as fried pork. We were all fed and happy, the end.

Thursday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, leftover mashed potatoes with cheese added, frozen corn, mashed squash

Long version: Leftover mashed potatoes are much improved by stirring in shredded cheese as they're being re-heated. Just a non-Tuesday Tip for you.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poppy's mask is adorable!
takeout
taco salad casserole made with rice, corn, turkey burger served with lettuce & tomatoes on top, banana muffins & Pots de Creme
casserole made with chicken, cauliflower, cheese, & bacon, garlic knots & green beans on the side, Pots de Creme
roasted potatoes/mushrooms with beef & cheese on top, garlic knots, salad, Pots de Creme
salmon patties, garlic knots, salad, roasted potatoes
casserole with chicken, cheese, bacon, kale, corn served with tomatoes on top, garlic knots
pizza & salad for tonight
In your previous post I did count lemon & lime juice as two of my condiments, so I guess I really only have 9.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: I am just so pleased to continually see Pots de Creme in your menus. It makes me feel as if I've made at least one valuable contribution to the online world. :-)

Jody said...

I still can't get it together enough to remember what we've had in a week. . . but a comment about the chili. We have friends who think it's strange that we don't eat chili over mashed potatoes. That's all they've ever done. (We usually eat ours as a soup.)

Anonymous said...

I haven't sent in my menu for quite a while because I don't always remember exactly what we ate the previous week. This week I remember
Friday: My granddaughter and I cooked a birthday dinner for her mother, my daughter. Shrimp and mushroom scampi on pasta, oven roasted broccoli, blueberry pie
Saturday: pizza with spicy red sauce, mushrooms and andouille sausage
Sunday: cabbage with sausage and other veggies, roasted fingerling potatoes. I had a cabbage in the fridge and potatoes that needed to be cooked before they went bad.
Monday: leftover shrimp scampi and frozen peas
Tuesday: beef and bean tacos
Wednesday: leftover cabbage with sausage on crazy good rice, leftover broccoli
Thursday: fancy dinner - chicken marinated in red wine, garlic mashed potatoes, peas with bacon
Pam in Maine

Andra said...

I love Poppy’s mask!
We eat the following meals:
-Beef stew with beer bread
-Steak (From the portion of cow we purchased from a local farmer) with potatoes and roasted green beans… The kids had chicken nuggets because they didn’t want steak
-Spaghetti with meat sauce
-Turkey loin with sweet potatoes and cabbage
-Baked chicken with a variety of roasted potatoes that I had do use up and kale which I roasted
-Baked fish with rice and vegetables

Claire said...

I love the picture of Poppy :-)
This week is the last one in our flat, move pending ! so I am really trying to it up what we have in the fridge and freezer. Here what we had
F a classic for Fridays: skirt steak with mushroom sauce, celeriac salad and risotto from the freezer
S turkey and corn pie with salad
S Melted Raclette cheese over boiled potatoes, leftover salad
M Curry chicken with wheat (the curry powder from the supermarket was to tasteless I had to put 1/3 of the package), leftover salad
T Arancini with the leftover risotto. I add an egg and emmenthal cheese, these turned out really well. We had them with condiments and the very end of the salad
W my boyfriend's signature spaghetti with bacon, dried porcini, white wine, sherry and cream, with spinach on the side
T Saucisse à rôtir, which is a local braising sausage in an onion and white wine sauce, with mashed potatoes

mil said...

Friday: baked potato with sour cream; baked cabbage and cheese (made more or less like mac and cheese but with lightly boiled chopped cabbage).
Saturday: mashed squash; potato soup, cold chicken with mayonnaise
Sunday: chicken, rice, red bell pepper and dried porcini soup. That was the end of the old hen that I had cooked the previous week. My brother decapitated her, but I did all the rest and was very pleased with my plucking. Also, the end of the cabbage and cheese casserole.
Monday: more soup. Some of the same squash, I think it was Winter Sweet, which has very sweet, very dry flesh. A baked potato.
Tuesday: refried beans, salsa, cheese, blue corn chips. And squash.
Wednesday: green salad. Beef ragu from Cook's Illustrated book of winter recipes that I picked up at the store. Polenta. Rice pudding made with currents (better for the pudding than the huge raisins I had on hand) and the few remaining cranberries left from the supply I bought at Thanksgiving time. The pudding had the perfect consistency. Was that because I turned the oven off by mistake and had to turn it back on for the final half hour?
Thursday: same as Wednesday but I forgot to eat salad.

Gemma's person said...

It's amazing Poppy!

Anonymous said...

Kristin,

My husband loves the Pots de Creme. And I do too!
Linda

sherri said...

When you cook the pork in your Dutch oven, do you add liquid, cook covered, with aromatics? Mine is always dry and tough. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Kay said...

Saturday: Ate out with friends, Steaks, baked potatoes, salad, great sourdough rolls.

Sunday: Blueberry Muffins (breakfast), Leftover steak, roll, chips (lunch), Air Fryer appetizer meal of shrimp, crab rangoon, salad (supper)

Monday: Cast Iron Cheeseburgers, homemade bread, fries (him), Tomato salad (me)

Tuesday: (Cleaned out the fridge) Soft beef tacos (him), Leftover Pork made into Carnitas (me)

Wednesday: French Toast (him), Tomato/Cucumber/Peppers/Feta Cheese Salad, bread

Thursday: (I had a hair cut after work) Chopped Salads, Bread

Friday (today): Tator Tot Casserole, Avocado/Pepper salad, bread.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jody: Chili and mashed potatoes is a new one for me, but I don't see why it would be bad. As a kid, I always had chili just with crackers, but my mom's chili was also ground beef and beans, so it was a lot different than the straight meat chunks in sauce that I make. That goes over better with kids when it's part of a bowl meal with other things.

Pam: I need you to come make CUbby's birthday dinner. He always requests shrimp, and I am not a seafood cook at all.

Andra: Yay happy beef! We're getting a cow soon (cut up for the freezer, I mean) and I am SO EXCITED.

Claire: HOORAY! So exciting! Good luck. (Also, your entire week of meals is everything I want to eat. Especially the sausage. We can't get good sausage of any kind here.)

MiL: In the name of science, you'll have to make another rice pudding to test your hypothesis.

G.P.: It is indeed. Always.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sherri: I do cook it covered, with about half a cup of water, 325 degrees for several hours until it can be pulled apart. All I add to it is salt. And when it's done, I drain off the liquid and refrigerate it so I can scoop the rendered fat off the top to fry the meat in it. The frying in its own fat is really what makes it good. That's when I add spices, almost always more salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Sometimes I do have parts of meat that are pretty dry and tough even for that, so that's what I would simmer with barbecue sauce for pulled pork. That cooking method breaks it down more and adds some moisture to it.

But honestly, the cut of pork is what will make it good. You have to have one with a lot of fat, like pork butt or shoulder. Something like the loin will always be dry unless it's quickly fried raw in a lot of fat.

sherri said...

Thanks Kristin!

Jenlee said...

Kristin, I just found you through thefrugalgirl and have spent the last week reading the last 18 months or so to get to know you and especially for the food. I'm from NC so I really enjoyed telling my dh, "they had antelope! They had elk!" . As a child, squirrel, rabbit and raccoon were on the menu at times but that was the extent of our wild game.

However, pork is my meat of choice, so I really enjoyed your recipes. I buy butt almost exclusively as it's inexpensive and versatile. I use a lot of liquid in my pot to ensure it being juicy. I cook the meat for a few hours, then pour off some of the broth and add a head of cut up cabbage. Or, I cook it and add turnips, potatoes aand/or rutabagas.

Ironically, my dh lived in Roswell for a few years in the mid-70s and loved it. They use to go up to Ruidoso, I believe, to ski. He also talked about the Mescalara (?) Indian Reservation. Idk if it's anywhere near you, but wanted to mention it.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jenlee: Hi! 18 months on here is a lot of food. You got me beat with the raccoon. A. used to trap them for the pelts, but we never ate them.

Jenlee said...

It's just as well - it tastes about as gamey and fatty as you can imagine. Fwiw, I laughed reading about your experience with okra. Being raised in SC, we grew it every year and I still love it. Fried, in vegetable beef soup or even grilled, it's all delicious to me.