Friday, February 19, 2021

Friday Food: Short and Sweet

I seem to have been uncharacteristically succint in my food reporting this week. I promise I won't let it happen again.

Friday 

Short version: Leftover meatballs, shrimp, rice, frozen green beans, and soup

Long version: I woke up with a cold this morning, so I made soup for myself. Just some of the leftover meatballs with some of my canned rooster stock, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and frozen green beans. A. and Cubby ate that, too, with the addition of the leftover shrimp, while the other children had the plain leftovers.

Saturday

Short version: Fried bull meat, bread and butter, frozen peas

Long version: I used one and a half quarts of the canned bull meat for this--just fried in tallow with salt, paprika, and garlic powder--saving the remainder of the meat and liquid for the next day.

Pause for some horse hoof trimming.


Not a skill A. ever expected he would need, but here we are.

Sunday

Short version: Two revealing stews

Long version: A. had purchased some pigs' feet last time he was at a store, because he loves to make stew with them. I . . . do not. So I left the pigs' feet to him. He cooked them with a package of pork necks, a huge onion, several heads of garlic, and about five hot roasted green chilis Miss Amelia gave me that I've been afraid to use because even the mild chilis can be too spicy for me.

It was a strong soup.

For the less bold among us, I made a stew with the bull meat, a jar of pressure-canned beef stock, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, mild green chilis, frozen corn, a can of kidney beans, and some sour cream.

The boys ate my stew with a little of A.'s fiery broth mixed in, and declared it good. I thought that was a fitting representation of how A. and I parent: A combination of stability on my end and excitement on his.

Poppy also ate several of the pigs' feet. My southern grandfather used to eat pickled pigs' feet, so I guess she's just carrying on a family tradition.

Monday

Short version: Beef pot roast, roasted potatoes, frozen peas

Long version: A small arm roast cooked with salt, pepper, tomato juice, and sliced onions. Pretty basic. As is most of my cooking.

The only load of laundry I managed to do this week was, of course, dried inside on the drying rack the MiL gave me.


Disembodied hand courtesy of Poppy.

And why was it the only load of laundry I did this week? Because the ground froze, and with it, the drain pipe for the washing machine. Good thing there was no school this week, thanks to frozen and burst pipes in the elementary school. No one can tell how dirty your clothes are on Zoom.

Tuesday

Short version: Carnitas-style pork, garlic bread, cucumbers with salt and vinegar

Long version: I finally conquered the last intimidatingly large package of pork in the freezer, cooking about a third of it, and hacking the rest into manageable pieces before putting it back in the freezer. I had been dreading dealing with that for awhile, so it's nice to have it done.

Wednesday

Short version: Cubby's tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, scrambled eggs with cream cheese

Long version: Cubby has been wanting to make the tomato soup recipe from his ATK kids' cookbook again for awhile, and I figured Ash Wednesday was a good opportunity. Kids aren't required to fast or abstain from meat, but I make meatless food for them anyway. It's not going to impact their health, and it's a good reminder that it's a notable day.

Anyway.

We made a quadruple recipe of this soup, which is "creamy" from the bread that's cooked and blended into the soup. It's a good thing we made so much, because all the boys ate multiple bowls and it's all gone.

It is very good tomato soup.

Sandwiches seemed like a bit of overkill, given the bread in the soup, but I gave each kid half a sandwich anyway. They were pleased. It's certainly not much of a penance to be meat-free if this is what they have for dinner instead.

The eggs were for A. and me.

Thursday

Short version: Carnitas tacos, with avocado!

Long version: Just the leftover pork fried for tacos, but we had avocados, thanks to A.'s trip to get hay earlier in the week.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This coming week, I'm going to make that creamy, dreamy tomato soup. I wrote the recipe down when you had posted about it before & I love soup, so this is as good a time as any.
meatball subs, brussels sprouts, mushrooms
baked chicken breasts, roasted sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts, garlic knots
pizza, cauliflower
chicken breast sandwiches, salad
mini meatloaves, roasted carrots, baked apples, garlic knots
cottage pie, cauliflower, garlic knots
And for tonight, hot chicken salad, green beans, roasted potatoes.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Here's the ingredients for one recipe of it (which really only makes 2 small servings, which is why we quadrupled it): olive oil for sauteeing the 2 tablespoons onion or shallot and clove of garlic, then add 15.5 can tomatoes (calls for diced, we used whole and just mashed them up a bit in the pot), .5 cup chicken broth, 1 slice white sandwich bread torn into smaller pieces, 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Simmer till the bread falls apart, then puree.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oops. 14.5 counces of tomatoes, I meant.

mil said...

Kept track this week!
Friday: my new favorite comfort food--carrot and potato mousseline. SO GOOD. Three potatoes, cooked, six carrots, cooked. Put these through a ricer or food mill. Stir in three tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup of heavy cream. Season, of course. It transforms these simple basics. Also, andouille sausages and rice pudding for dessert.
Saturday: slow-roasted pork shoulder, carrot and potato mousseline, salad, rice pudding.
Sunday: same, but rice pudding disappeared at breakfast time
Monday: pretty much the same. One person, one roast. I love leftovers
Tuesday: braised red cabbage, pork
Wednesday: chips and black bean salsa, fried eggs, salad, rice pudding. One cool thing about rice pudding (the old-fashioned slow cooked variety). You can turn off the oven and leave it, finishing the cooking when it is convenient. The rest actually makes it better.
Thursday: omelet, red cabbage, andouille sausage, and popcorn. Pretty random.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kristin, for the recipe. I just had the ingredients written down from before, but not the amounts. So this is helpful.
Linda

Andra said...

This week was all about using up the leftovers.
-over fried chicken with Mac and cheese and broccoli
-pizza
-beef stew with corn bread
-hamburgers, roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, and corn on the cob
-leftover beef stew and homemade biscuits
-fish, rice, vegetables
-the last of the beef stew. The leftover chicken, leftover corn on the cob and beef bread

Kate said...

Friday-salmon and broccoli casserole
Saturday-turkey breast and noodles
Sunday-fish sticks and oven fries (grandchildren spend the weekend so I try to cook something they'll eat). And I made vanilla wafer pudding. Partly because they like it and partly because I love it and they helped me eat it up. I'd have eaten the whole bowl myself otherwise. It's one of those recipes from your childhood that you still love. Basically just vanilla pudding, sour cream, coolwhip (I know it's all chemicals but I don't care) and vanilla wafers.
Monday-curried lentils
Tuesday-pot roast, rice
Wednesday-pita pizza, without meat. Children here. I've never known a child that wouldn't eat it.
Thursday-Mexican turkey (turkey, green chilies, cornbread crust)

Kay said...

I hope your cold is better and that the horrible cold weather has passed out of your area.
This week I was just "done!" with it all. Weather, work, virus, all of it.
My menu reflects that.

Sun: Ham & Bean Soup (so good!)

Mon: Neither of us were very hungry and we were weary. He had Chex Mix and I had Rice with butter and cheese.

Tue: Fat Tuesday! We had Pancakes and Sausage

Wed: Cheese Quesadillas

Thu: Air Fryer Night - Corn Dogs & FF for him. Shrimp & Fries for me

Fri: Date Night (Finally!) He had ribs and I had Salmon. So good!

Sat: Lunch was whatever we could find while wrangling the 3 grandchildren. Supper was English Beef Roast, mashed potatoes, carrots. I added in a cucumber/tomato salad.

NOTE: There was fruit included alot of these nights.

Anonymous said...

It was all about chicken this week
Friday: chicken sausage pan fried in bacon fat, peas pan fried in bacon and sausage fat and something else that I can't remember
Saturday: pizza topped with sauteed leek and swiss chard, andouille sausage(only non-chicken meat for the week), mushrooms, yellow pepper
Sunday: a whole chicken roasted with potatoes, mushrooms, colored peppers
Monday: leftover chicken and roasted veggies
Tuesday: chicken and potato tacos which is a continuation of my experiments to test my hypothesis that if you put enough chili powder and cumin on anything, it is taco filling. This experiment did support the hypothesis.
Wednesday: I put the chicken carcass in the slow cooker for the day and then made chicken, veggie, pasta and bean soup with the broth. The soup was topped with parmesan cheese there were various pieces of leftover breads to dip in it.
Thursday: leftover soup and still more pieces of various breads
Pam in Maine

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Pam: I can confirm your taco filling hypothesis. I formed this conclusion myself several years ago when I realized that it even works with zucchini.

Anonymous said...

Kristin: I have used just mushrooms and just leftover potatoes but never just zucchini. I may have to repeat your experiment this summer when I have lots of zucchini. My husband gets a little worried when he doesn't see a recognizable source of protein such as meat or beans in his meals but was ok with the potato experiment because there was cheese on the tacos. Cheese can take care of everything.
Pam in Maine