Friday, May 7, 2021

Friday Food: Feliz Seis de Mayo

Friday 

Short version: Chicken, macaroni salad, roasted vegetables, raw vegetables with ranch dip

Long version: My parents arrived for a weekend visit this day, and because we were at the dentist in the afternoon and didn't get home until about 6 p.m., my mother asked if she could bring dinner with her. So she brought three rotisserie chickens, some deli macaroni salad, some pre-roasted vegetables, and a LOT of raw vegetables.

Saturday

Short version: Rabbit tacos with homemade corn tortillas, guacamole

Long version: (If you saw this before I realized this part somehow got deleted, sorry! I would hate to deprive anyone of any of my many, many words, so here it is.)

I was outside hanging laundry when I saw one of the white meat rabbits hopping down the road.

Uh . . . 

I let our livestock manager know, and he and Poppy spent a fruitless but very entertaining ten minutes trying to herd the rabbit back over to the casita.

Rabbits can't be herded. We know this now.

Instead of going where it was supposed to, it bolted into the cow pasture where A. couldn't get at it. Since he couldn't catch it, he shot it. (No cows were there; don't worry.) And then he put Poppy through the fence so she could go retrieve it.

When he went over to investigate the scene of the escape, he found another rabbit out, so he shot that one, too. He'd been meaning to butcher some, anyway. This little episode just precipitated matters.

So we had rabbit tacos for dinner. And this is why menu planning doesn't work with my life.

My parents brought me avocados, and A. bought some when we were in the city for the dentist, so we had plenty of avocados for guacamole. Yay.

Sunday

Short version: Steaks, pasta with pesto, radishes, green salad with vinaigrette, pots de creme

Long version: First Communion day!

 


Pretty much all the posed photos my dad took are weird like this . . .


But I did get one good candid photo of The Man of the Hour.

Calvin's request for his celebratory First Communion meal were pasta with pesto and pots de creme. I still have some of last summer's pesto in the freezer, so that was an easy one. 

He didn't request the steak and salad. Those were my additions.

Monday

Short version: Rabbit casserole, avocado, pinto beans, raw snap peas

Long version: I very virtuously prepped the casserole--leftover rabbit taco meat mixed with more salsa, sour cream, and garlic powder, then layered with corn tortillas and shredded cheese--at 6 a.m. so I could just put it in the oven when I got home from work.

And then none of the children liked it.

Well, Cubby did, I think, but the others were not enthused. I don't know why. It tasted pretty good to me. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Tuesday

Short version: Ham, boiled potatoes, roasted peppers/onions/carrots, cucumbers with salt and vinegar

Long version: Last time A. went to the store, I mentioned he might want to see if there was any non-beef meat that looked good. He came home with a giant spiral-sliced ham. And that's what I cooked.

Wednesday

Short version: Cinco de Mayo appetizer, fried ham/potatoes/cheese, green salad with vinaigrette, frozen peas

Long version: This was a workday, so I wasn't really in the mood to make a big Cinco de Mayo feast. I did have three avocados and half a bag of tortilla chips left from when my parents were here, though, so I made some guacamole and we had a festive appetizer before our very not-Mexican dinner.

It may not be Mexican, but few things are better than ham and potatoes fried in butter with grated cheddar cheese melted on top. That's what the kids had.

A. had some of the ham with cheese on it, plus the salad and peas.

I had a salad with peas and ham in it.

No one had a margarita. Bummer.

Thursday

Short version: Seis de Mayo food

Long version: I took ground beef out of the freezer, planning to make hamburgers and roasted potatoes. But then Cubby and Calvin were on a school field trip and I wasn't sure when they would be home, so I decided to make something that would re-heat easily whenever they did make it home. 

So, taco meat. Should've had this the day before.

Calvin had that with corn tortillas and cheese when they made it home around 8 p.m. Cubby had leftover potatoes and ham. And then we all went to bed, because that's WAY too late for dinner.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Calvin!
It was nice that your mom gave you a night off from cooking.
grilled steaks, asparagus, roasted potatoes
chicken, bacon, asparagus saute over rice, rolls, Pots de Creme
shrimp & cheese ravioli in tomato sauce, salad, garlic knots, Pots de Creme
salsa chicken over rice, broccoli, rolls, Pots de Creme
casserole with ground beef, onions, garlic, carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, garlic knots
turkey & cheese sliders, roasted asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms
And for tonight pizza.
Linda

mil said...

Sort of a green garlic week--

Fri: Sirloin with green garlic pesto, baked potato, GF brownies and red wine.
Sat: Second half of sirloin, green peas, potato with garlic pesto.
Sunday: First salad: spinach, red mustard, which volunteered everywhere, lamb's quarter, dandelion, tarragon parsley, oil and vinegar with a dab of green garlic pesto. Also, some beans with ham hock left over from last week. And a brownie.
Monday: bean soup (more leftovers, rosti potatoes.
Tuesday: peas, Italian sausage, GF pasta.
Wednesday: Roast loin of pork (unfortunately, the rub I made had too much salt), peas, parsnips.
Thursday: Italian sausage, green garlic risotto. The risotto was good, and as I eliminated more misplaced garlic, I think I will make that again. I had salad makings from thinning spinach and pulling the wildly enthusiastic mustard, but I didn't get it made--

Kate said...

the rabbit casserole sounds great to me. But of course I'm not a kid.
Friday-leftover lima bean bake, bread
Saturday-Mexican meatloaf (kids like it and it uses up leftover tortilla chip crumbs), baked potatoes, broccoli
Sunday-leftover chicken and stuffing for grownups, Kraft macaroni and cheese for kids. Because they begged me to get some.
Monday-vegetable soup, bread
Tuesday-pork chops, pasta, peas
Wednesday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, broccoli
Thursday-chicken fajitas

Jenny said...

I so enjoy reading about your food, family, and life! I’m a pretty new reader although I have also enjoyed your comments on another blog for quite a while! Our lives are pretty different but our thoughts? Or attitudes? have quite a bit in common, I think! That’s one thing I really like about social media! We wouldn’t have ever met, otherwise.
I had relatives who lived in the Southwest and when we visited, we enjoyed exploring some remote areas that I think many people never knew exist. I sure didn’t.
You are brave, resourceful, and funny. Have a happy Mother’s’ Day, or a decent one, at least. Lol.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jenny: Thank you. There are places all over this country that many people don't know exist, but certainly a lot of remote areas around here that are almost beyond imagining.

Anonymous said...

It's Wednesday and I haven't posted last week's menu! The good news is that I actually remember all of the meals
Friday: chicken and veggie stir fry on crazy good rice
Saturday: pizza with spicy red sauce, mushrooms, andouille sausage
Sunday: Tuscan chicken stew with tortellini. I was making a big batch of this to take to the free Sunday supper takeout organized by area churches and cooked an entire chicken to make the broth and to have meat for the soup. I was surprised by how tender all of the chicken meat was.
Monday: leftover Tuscan chicken stew
Tuesday: chicken and bean tacos. There was a lot of chicken meat left and it was used for this meal and several lunches.
Wednesday: salmon burgers with dill horseradish sauce on lettuce, carrot salad. Kristen - the dill horseradish sauce turns out to be your ranch dressing with a couple globs (highly technical cooking term) of bottled horseradish added.
Thursday: tortellini with sauteed greens, roasted beets
Pam in Maine