Friday, August 13, 2021

Friday Food: Fair Photos!

This was a crazy week, with the county fair, me at work most of the week, Cubby at football practice most days, and way too much heat. But everyone was fed.

Friday 

Short version: Leftover beef goulash with egg noodles, frozen peas

Long version: Not much to report, except that egg noodles are much better than eggless pasta. In my opinion, anyway.

Saturday

Short version: Fair food, and PBJ

Long version: This was our big day at the County Fair. 


This day of the fair starts with a parade at which much candy is thrown. Thus, the bags.


The line-up for the National Anthem before the kids' rodeo.


At which Cubby the Cowboy rode a steer. Calvin did, too, but he didn't have the hat and boots.

All the excitement isn't over until around 6 p.m., so we got the kids dinner at the 4-H concession stand. The only thing available was a hot dog meal that came with either chips or a full-size candy bar. So that's what they all got, and they all chose the candy bar.

Calvin was the only one who didn't want a hot dog. He came home and had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

I was so hot and tired, all I ate was some cottage cheese.

Sunday

Short version: Sausage in tomato/cream sauce, leftover noodles, Blue Ribbon carrots, raw green beans

Long version: Breakfast sausage fried in small patties, to which I added some pizza sauce I had made and then some heavy cream. 

We brought home the three carrots that A. entered into the fair, for which he got a first-place ribbon. They were pretty bendy and wrinkled after sitting out in the exhibition hall for three days, but I certainly wasn't going to throw them out. So I roasted them. They were delicious.

Monday

Short version: Pizza, leftover goulash, carrot sticks

Long version: I went back to work this day for a full day of teacher in-service stuff, so I prepped all of this ahead of time. I made the pizza dough and pre-baked it the day before when I was baking bread, plus made pizza sauce. So when I got home, all I had to do was top the dough with the sauce and my handy pre-shredded asadero from the freezer--plus the two leftover sausage patties diced up to top the smaller pizza--and bake it about fifteen minutes.

A. and I had the goulash. It wasn't as good as the pizza. But then, very few things are.

Tuesday

Short version: Hamburgers, leftover pizza, steamed broccoli

Long version: Cubby started playing football this week, with the first two days of practices from 6 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

That's a LOT of calories burned. 

I knew he would be coming home starving (once he had recovered from all the running in the heat--the heat this week was the reason the practices started so early), and I was at work all day so I wouldn't be here to feed him when he got home.

So I had A. buy some ground beef when he was at the store and I made pre-made hamburger patties to keep in the freezer that A. could cook for Cubby when he got home.

There were some of those left, so I made those for dinner.

Our neighbor is bringing a steer to the butcher for us next week and I will be sooooo happy to have not-store ground beef again.


These were on display on Main Street during the county parade. They are real, and kind of terrifying.

Wednesday

Short version: Cafeteria food, omelets, ice cream

Long version: There was a bunch of lasagna, corn, and garlic bread left from the teachers' provided lunch at school after this in-service day that the cook asked us to take home. And I was very happy to do so, because that meant I didn't have to cook for the kids.

I had a little ice cream left, which I promised the kids they could have if they behaved themselves at school for the whole four hours A. and I both had to be in a required CPR/First Aid training. They did--mostly thanks to a couple of teachers who already had the certification and kept them occupied--so they got the ice cream.

Thursday

Short version: Meat and potatoes, cucumbers with salt and vinegar

Long version: Diced potatoes boiled in the juices from a jar of bull meat, then I added the meat, plus garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika.

Cucumbers from the garden. Finally.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those lion's look so real. Are they taxidermy lion's?
grilled steak, salad, mushrooms, garlic brd., peach crisp
grilled chicken, potato salad, garlic brd., tomato & cucumber salad, peach crisp
salad with leftover grilled chicken & steak, leftover potato salad, cantaloupe, garlic brd.
chicken, zucchini, tomato taco's, cantaloupe
shrimp & green bean skillet, potatoes, peaches, garlic brd.
chicken salad sandwiches, curry dip with carrot & celery sticks, & cucumbers, chips
And for tonight salmon melts or patties & probably cut up vegetables & dip again.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Yup, they were taxidermied. And very cool to see up close.

Anonymous said...

Hello...I know how it is to feed an athlete, track and cross country builds up enourmous appetites...premade hummus wraps, bean burritos, nut butters with various dippers, hard boiled eggs, Aussie bites, trail mix...all good for preventing the hangries and exhaustion...and it can be all premade to.

Anyway it's been 100+ here...woof.

This week we ate

Monday - chicken salad with crackers, mixed grapes
Tuesday - tomato sandwiches, garbage macaroni salad, sweet potato chili lime chips
Wendsday - toast topped with mashed avocado,tomato, hard boiled eggs, leftover salad and chips
Thursday - I roasted some chicken breast in the morning so we had that on top of Cobb salad, french bread with butter
Friday - still in the hundreds so I'm thinking deli meat sandwitches and some watermelon...ice cream sounds good for dessert so I'll pick some up to

Oh...dehydration is a big thing for athletes...I give my daughter coconut water to help with that...Pedialyte is good to but it's expensive.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Thanks for the ideas. Weirdly, my son has had very little appetite this week. Suppressed by the heat and exertion, maybe? Dunno. But I'm sure that will change shortly when he gets into another growth spurt.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Just curious, has your cooking changed much since the move? And if so, is it more because of what you now have access to, or what you don't have access to?

Pam said...

Friday: Thai food with the neighbors celebrating a 14 yr old's birthday
Saturday: Salad with pizza for dessert with the neighbors
Sunday: roast beef, new potatoes, zucchini-garlic saute
Monday: ratatouille on pasta, grilled chicken, raw peapods and purple beans
Tuesday: leftover roast beef and potato tacos
Wednesday: tofu burgers and tomato-cucumber salad
Thursday: chicken caesar salad
Pam in Maine

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: I apparently have many words to say about that (when do I not?), so stay tuned for a Remote Living Wednesday that will address those very questions.