Monday, August 9, 2021

Monday Bouquets: County Fair Flowers

It was County Fair Weekend!

That's a big deal here. 

There were many things I could have entered for judging--for me, that would be mostly baked goods or canned things--but in th end, I brought flowers.


I did the initial arranging outside as the sun was coming up. Dramatic, no?

I added a couple more things to it when I got it inside. 


It basically got a Participation ribbon, which is fine. I wasn't all that pleased with how this one came out, and there were several very nice arrangements there.

Since my usual Fancy Vase (ahem) was at the fair over the weekend, I used my Less Fancy Vase to put some sunflowers on the table.


Topo Chico and sunflowers: A perfect match.

I actually didn't have anything on the table for a whole half day, a fact that was noted by Poppy, who informed me I needed some flowers. She's in for a rude shock this winter. 

5 comments:

mil said...

Dried flowers aren't very exciting, but you might have luck with some dried arrangements of range plants and grasses for the winter months. I remember some very striking species of cone flower in Utah, so keep your eyes peeled --

Claire said...

Oh I love that picture of the bouquet in the morning sun ! Maybe next fair you should enter with photography (is that even allowed ? I've never been to a county fair)

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I like how the sunflowers still perked up when the sun came up. Guess no one told them they're already dead. There's probably a metaphor in there.

Jenny said...

That first early sunflower photo is epic! Really pretty and magical. I second the idea to enter photos in the future.
Good for you for entering!
For your daughter to assume that flowers on the table are normal and expected is the greatest! My Mom always was able to come up with something- a pretty weed, an evergreen twig, dried stuff, herbs, wildflowers... I do that still and think of her every day. Her Mom and HER Mom did the same. Some lady botanists in this family! I'm one without a degree.
I was so proud in 1987 when I won first prize for a yellow summer squash at the Lake County Illinois fair!Later, it turned out that I was the only entrant in the category. Still proud, though!!!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Clair: Oh yes, photography is definitely one of the categories, which are impressively diverse. My neighbor takes incredible photos, though, and wins the grand prize every year, so my competition would be stiff. :-)

Jenny: It's still an accomplishment to win if you're the only one who bothered to enter. As my dad used to say, "Sometimes you just have to show up."