Sunday, October 24, 2021

Snapshots: Bulbs and Bows

A few weeks ago, A. told me, "I ordered you some spring bulbs to plant."

Having been married to him for 18 years now, I knew what that meant.

"How many?" I asked with justifiable suspicion.

"Oh, around a hundred."

They came last week. There were more like 230*. I KNEW IT.

Needless to say, I was not going to be planting all of those myself.

So I took my digging machine out (A., who is as close to a machine with a shovel as it is possible for a human to be) and we planted all of them in about an hour.

We had help, of course.


Although, as always with children, that should be "help."

Poppy found her own shovel and asked for a bulb to plant by herself.


I happened to have one to spare.

If you look closely, you can see that hard-working digger up there has some pretty fancy hair decorations. One of her birthday requests was hairbows. Sparkly, rainbow hairbows, just like her friend's. I submitted this request to my mother, and the birthday girl duly received a package of six hairbows.


No sparkles, but certainly her favorite colors.

I must admit, by the way, that as the mother of boy after boy, I sort of rolled my eyes at the idea of things like pink and purple hairbows. And now I love them, because honestly, they are JUST SO CUTE. 

Lastly, would it be a Snapshots post without some photos of my morning walk? No. 


But honestly, would you look at that sky?

And just for fun, let's see what was behind me to the east.


The lingering moon, of course.

And there you have it! My life, snapshotted.

* I am now going to list every kind of bulb we planted, in the hopes that I'll be able to identify them when they start coming up in the very random places I planted them: many assorted tulips, some mixed daffodils, Dutch iris, Muscari Armeniacum, mixed allium, mixed crocuses, mixed anemone blanda, grape hyacinths, windflowers, and Glory of the Snow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!That's ALOT of bulbs!
Poppy's bows are adorable.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Ditto Linda!

sheila said...

I was thinking it was going to be garlic bulbs. Hope you get lots of flowers next spring.