Tuesday, October 5, 2021

T.T.: A Forehead-Slapping Waffle Trick

My children are divided on the issue of waffle crispiness. Cubby is adamant that waffles must be crispy. Poppy is adamant that waffles should be soft. The other two kids will go with either.

Personally, I'm in the Crispy Waffles 4Eva camp. I would only eat a waffle right out of the waffle iron, because once they had been in the oven to keep warm, they got all limp.

But that, it turns out, is because I was putting them on a plate, like pancakes.

When I found this recipe for so-called Crispy Waffles, I didn't hold out too much hope for their crispiness. But they are, indeed, the crispiest waffles I have ever had. Part of that is no doubt because of all the cornstarch in them, but I think most of it is the instruction in the recipe that waffles being kept warm in the oven should be put directly on the oven shelves.

Oh. Right. Because that way they're not stacked and the ones on the bottom aren't getting soggy from steam being trapped under the others.

Why didn't I think of that?

So, in case this very obvious idea wasn't so obvious to you either, now you know: For crispy waffles, leave them on the shelves of the oven to keep warm. (Except not for longer than maybe 15 minutes, or they actually kind of toast and get a little too crispy.)

Of course, if you agree with Poppy that waffles are better on the soft side, then stack away. But otherwise, keep those waffles separate and directly on the oven shelves. 

I don't have any photos of recent waffles--and certainly no photos of my very dirty oven--but here. Have a really funny picture of Odin with sunflowers.


What a goof.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you make yeast-risen waffles? They are a magical combination of crispy and tender. My kids are now snobs who point up their noses at quick waffles. But you’re probably making sourdough waffles, because you are a kitchen ninja.

Jessica

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jessica: You mean like the overnight waffles? I've never tried them. I don't keep yeast on hand. I've made sourdough waffles before, but honestly, I don't want to think ahead that much for waffles. So if the yeast waffles are vastly superior, please don't tell my kids. :-)

Anonymous J said...

Oh, that dog and sunflower photo just made my day! Don’t care a bit about waffles!