Tuesday, December 14, 2021

T.T.: The Secret To Cast Iron Seasoning

It is undeniable that I have, um, a lot of cast iron cooking vessels.


Eight, to be exact, if I include the enameled cast iron dutch oven.

About half of my cast iron skillets were inherited*, and they, of course have the best seasoning.

If you're not familiar with cast iron, "seasoning" refers to the smooth layer that builds up on the inside of the pan as it's used. The best cast iron, with the best seasoning, is pretty much non-stick and doesn't rust.

So how does one achieve that magical state? How, exactly, is cast iron cookware seasoned?

Well! Let me tell you!

I have seasoned the other half of my cast iron cookware myself, and at first I tried using the commonly given directions, which is to rub it with a layer of cooking oil, and then put it in a warm oven for awhile, to kind of bake the oil in.

What this does, unfortunately, is create a nasty, sticky, thin layer of oil that doesn't at all create the smooth surface I was going for.

Over the years, I have discovered that what really seasons my cast iron is animal fats. And a lot of them.

The more cast iron is used for frying foods in tallow or lard, the better the surface of the pan. It doesn't have to be deep-fat frying, but really, the more fat, the better.


Rendering tallow has an excellent seasoning effect, as you might imagine.

This is, of course, why the older skillets are the best: Because people used to fry foods a lot more, and they weren't using canola oil.

So! If you have a cast iron pot or skillet that you need to season, go ahead and fry some doughnuts or make french fries. Then you'll have both better seasoning on your pan and some doughnuts to eat. 

Practical and delicious.

Bonus cast iron advice: Once they're seasoned pretty well, they can be washed with dish soap, and even a nylon scrubby, but they should be put in a hot oven or on a hot burner to dry them off immediately after washing.

* At least one from my mother, and today happens to be her birthday. Happy birthday, Mom! Thanks for the skillet!

2 comments:

Kit said...

I totally agree about the useless directions that come with new cast iron. I swear by bacon!

Gemma's person said...

Very very useful secret.
Happy Birthday to a wonderful mom.